Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Is your Big Green Egg still cooking even though it’s cold out? We hope so! We love the opportunity to cook heartier meals on the EGG during the winter. Some recipes you definitely want to try are Double Smoked Potatoes, BBQ Chicken Soup, Monte Cristo Sandwich and Breakfast Quiche. These are sure to keep your stomach warm & full! We can’t wait to see what winter-inspired dishes you cook!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rack of Lamb on the Mini

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

For lunch today, I cooked up a rack of lamb on the Mini! 

Ingredients:

1 rack of lamb
1/4 Cup EVOO
1 heaping TBS of fresh thyme, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
zest & juice of 1 lemon
1 TSP sea salt
1/4 TSP fresh ground black pepper

Marinaded for a few hours:

Topped with the Rub Co Original rub:

The Mini Egg was fired up with a couple small chunks of pecan for smoke and cooking around 280-300.  A little pizza stone for a heat deflector and then the lamb was on:

When IT hit around 115 I removed the pizza stone and went direct briefly on both sides to get a little crust going:

Pulled at around 140-142 and after a brief rest, sliced and plated:

These were tender, juicy, and delicious!!  I will definitely be doing this again.

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,882
    R2 you are one of us. Wow
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Beautiful!!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    R2 you are one of us. Wow
    Thanks Mickey! :)
    Bay Area, CA
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,678
    That looks delicious.  I love lamb, but all I've tried are chops.  Have you ever done a leg?

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys

• Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,411
    Dayum!!! That looks good. As Mickey says"you are one of us" and there is no turning back :) :)
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,083
    Damnation that looks good!!! Got a meal for this week!!! That has nothing on the Subway sub I ate for lunch today on the way home from TN (insert jealousy here)....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    Good lookin' lamb, r2egg!  x2 - inspired for a meal this week!

• Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,455
    looks great.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jbates67jbates67 Posts: 164
    Great presentation switching back and forth on the rack. Will have to remember that, they look like delicious carnivorous lollipops.
    That looks delicious.  I love lamb, but all I've tried are chops.  Have you ever done a leg?
    I did a "semi-boneless" leg of lamb on my Small once.  Tried a Stephen Raichlen marinade for tandoori lamb:

It smelled incredible, was cooked properly but ultimately I felt this one fell short on flavor and tenderness.  I think it was just too much meat for the marinade to really soak in.

I love lamb loin chops and this rack was right up there as well for me.
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for the compliments everyone!
    Bay Area, CA
  • hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
    Beautiful.

Last time I did lambchops I scraped all the fat and that itty-bitty bit of meat off the rib bone down to the loin.  Made for more of a "lollipop" appearance.  I also pulled at 128 for a medium rare / medium finish.

Well done
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)