Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Lamb on the Mini

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

For lunch today, I cooked up a rack of lamb on the Mini! 

Ingredients:

1 rack of lamb
1/4 Cup EVOO
1 heaping TBS of fresh thyme, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
zest & juice of 1 lemon
1 TSP sea salt
1/4 TSP fresh ground black pepper

Marinaded for a few hours:

Topped with the Rub Co Original rub:

The Mini Egg was fired up with a couple small chunks of pecan for smoke and cooking around 280-300.  A little pizza stone for a heat deflector and then the lamb was on:

When IT hit around 115 I removed the pizza stone and went direct briefly on both sides to get a little crust going:

Pulled at around 140-142 and after a brief rest, sliced and plated:

These were tender, juicy, and delicious!!  I will definitely be doing this again.

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    R2 you are one of us. Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hartofatiger
    Options

Beautiful!!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    R2 you are one of us. Wow
    Thanks Mickey! :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    That looks delicious.  I love lamb, but all I've tried are chops.  Have you ever done a leg?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Dayum!!! That looks good. As Mickey says"you are one of us" and there is no turning back :):)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Damnation that looks good!!! Got a meal for this week!!! That has nothing on the Subway sub I ate for lunch today on the way home from TN (insert jealousy here)....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Good lookin' lamb, r2egg!  x2 - inspired for a meal this week!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    looks great.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Great presentation switching back and forth on the rack. Will have to remember that, they look like delicious carnivorous lollipops.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    That looks delicious.  I love lamb, but all I've tried are chops.  Have you ever done a leg?
    I did a "semi-boneless" leg of lamb on my Small once.  Tried a Stephen Raichlen marinade for tandoori lamb:

It smelled incredible, was cooked properly but ultimately I felt this one fell short on flavor and tenderness.  I think it was just too much meat for the marinade to really soak in.

I love lamb loin chops and this rack was right up there as well for me.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Bay Area, CA
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    Beautiful.

Last time I did lambchops I scraped all the fat and that itty-bitty bit of meat off the rib bone down to the loin.  Made for more of a "lollipop" appearance.  I also pulled at 128 for a medium rare / medium finish.

Well done
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)