Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizza

Options
cjtinkle
cjtinkle Posts: 5
edited March 2012 in Baking
I made our first pizza on the egg last night, and was very pleased!  I used the platesetter, legs down, the 3 ceramic feet and a pizza stone, 500 degrees.  The flavor was outstanding, although I think I'll bump the temperature up to 600 or more next time.  The crust was crispy (sourdough) but not as brown as I would like.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Looks good, CJ.  What were the toppings, besides mushrooms and red onion?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cjtinkle
    Options
    Grilled italian sausage and greek olives.  The best part was the baby bella's though, they sucked up that smoke flavor so well!
  • cjtinkle
    Options
    Thanks, I (hangs head in shame) just used Kraft mozzarella, and some fresh grated parmesan.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I actually think the bags of mozzarella work better than fresh.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Looks great and I love the toppings you used!  It sounds like a great combination of flavors.   =D>
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • cjtinkle
    Options
    I used to cook all our pizza sauce, until I bought Peter Reinhart's "American Pie" pizza book.  It has the most fabulous no cook pizza sauce in it!

My favorite toppings are with an olive oil/garlic base, fresh basil, smoked chicken, sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    @cjtinkle - I agree, I don't use a sauce either -- I use olive oil & garlic, too.  Sometimes pesto. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • JASONSC
    JASONSC Posts: 2
    Options

I started using the BGE in Jan to bake some pies with excellent results.  Semms though the hotter the better, but I kept mine in the 500 -550 range.  Make sure that BGE stone is hot.  i bought a laser temp gun at Harbor Freight to get a fairly good read on the temp of the stone. 

I make my dough, make a no cook sauce; make my meatballs.  my favorite is meatball and mushroom.  Cheese is either part skim or whole milk mozz (whole milk tastes better) and a spinkle of fresh Peccorino Romano and some fresh parm. 

Next best is marg. with olive oil, basil, and fresh tomato, and chese a little s&p, and chopped garlic.

White clam, and white spinich pie next try. 

• jmsmrdk
    jmsmrdk Posts: 87
    Options

The best cheeze i've had and what we use currently in  Belgioioso(sp?) mild provolone.  Come wrapped in plastic with a rope handle taped to it.  Pricey, but worth it.  Have one in the fridge now with a sell by date of september on it now.  A little sharp mixed in is nice too.  FRESH grated romano right when it comes of too.  Still figuring it out but that's what makes me want to fire it up.  Get's better every time.