Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What type of wood should I build my BGE table from?

wnaberwnaber Posts: 8
edited March 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I am starting to plan my BGE table.  I am not sure of what type of wood to build it out of.  I live in the Pacific North West and white cedar is very affordable.  Im a bit concerned since its so soft.  I want something that will hold up.

Any one have any recommendations?

Will

Comments

• cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    White cedar is a great choice. Not as affordable here in the northeast. Mine is made of PT pine for framing. Lower shelf is pvc decking. Counter is concrete.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • DeckchefDeckchef Posts: 40
    I choose Spanish cedar 4.99 bd/ft here on the mid Atlantic. All the properties of cedar but actually a hardwood :) finished with a teak oil. My 2 cents.
  • eggoeggo Posts: 492
    I used cypress and sealed with ready seal, 4 coats.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    White oak is another great choice, but pricey.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 216
    I built mine out of cypress.  Fairly cheap down here in the southeast.  Good rot-resistant properties.
  • Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    Building mine out of cypress
  • I'm in Northern PRK, and so your wood selection is probably very similar to mine. If so, then that part of the country should have redwood - my table (if I ever get it finished) is made 90% w/ redwood w/ just some things like the trim, etc made from other woods (and that was only because redwood wasn't available in those sizes/shapes/thicknesses).

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I live in north Mississippi and I had cedar at my disposal.  I put 3 coats of poly on it and figure this will need repeating yearly.  I have been using it for 3 months now and have not been easy on it.  It has held up great.  I always feel like nicks and dents on wood just adds character. 

"I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!" - Colonel Sanders. Memphis, TN
  • paulheelspaulheels Posts: 457
    Pecky (sp) cypress for me. Whenever I get the money and find someone who has it! I'm in the south, prob hard to find in other parts of country.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • bumpyebumpye Posts: 15

I used Red Oak which I've been told is not good for outdoor use. I coated it with 3 coats of spar urethane and will keep it covered here in the Northeast. Table is only 1 month old so I don't know what long term will be. I expect I'll have to re-coat it every couple of years.

• Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    I am having the hardest time finding cypress. I live in NC and you would think it would be easy to find but it's proven otherwise. I think I'm just going to go lowes and buy whatever looks good there. Go pack and lets beat the heels today!!!!!!
  • eggoeggo Posts: 492
    I used cypress and sealed with ready seal. It won't peal. Check it out at:

www.readyseal.com
    Eggo in N. MS
  • I am building mine out of granite.   Lasts forever and even carbide sandpaper will not hurt it.

It took 15 minutes to "sand " 1 foot of  the edge of the granite .   Really need diamond blade, but they only cost approx $20.00