Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My experience with a TURBO BUTT and the method I used.

mpdust
mpdust Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've lurked on this forum for several years and finally bought an Egg a little over 2 years ago. This purchase forced my hand into officially signing up with the site. I've always thrived under your tutelage but never so much as I did yesterday. Enter the TURBO BUTT! Folks, don't doubt this method. I was very skeptical because of the outstanding results I've had with my low and slows, often times taking 12-16 hours. I found the turbo method and decided to give it a try. The wifey purchased a nice 8.5 lb pork butt on Thursday. I administered my usual, generous rub and into the fridge it went for a day. Saturday morning came and I had the butt on @ 8 am. I kept my temps between 330-360 the entire time and monitored everything with my Maverick ET-73. I used mesquite chunks to smoke and the butt was on fat cap up with an indirect setup. The pork stayed on until the internal temp hit 170 at which time I removed it, and wrapped it in heavy duty aluminum foil with approx 3/4 cup of apple juice. The butt went back on with the fat cap up and temps still between 330-360. At 1:50 pm the internal hit 198 and off it came. I wrapped it up in a towel and let it sit for 11/2 hours inside the oven. At 3:15, I unwrapped the meat and to my amazement, it was the most delicious and tender piece of meat I've ever cooked. Pulled pork indeed! This method cut my cook time down by over half and yielded incredibly delicious meat. Hope this helps someone out there.

Comments