Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mongolian Beef

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just wokked this for lunch.  I'm thinking I might cook this at Salado, rather than peppersteak.image 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Options
    That looks great.
  • Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Options
    Wow! That looks great.. Recipe?
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Wow! That looks great.. Recipe?

I learned the secrets of enlightenment for
    Mongolian Beef from my Xi Shu master as a young monk at the Shaolin Monestary
    in Zhengzhou, China. 

My master now resides on a mountaintop at The Forum On The Winding Path of Family
    Entanglements 
    (
    greeneggers.com) and is known to his followers as
    RichardFl.  I pay honor to my Xi Shu by
    referring you to him, as I always give acknowledgment and praise to those who
    teach me.

To put it another way, I don’t feel right giving
    out a recipe that was given to me without permission.  I’m sure Richard will be happy to give it to
    you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    VI, 
    I totally respect that.  I've posted food on various forums where people want the recipe.  If it's something I made up or discovered, I give it.  However when it comes to the Thai, I can't do it.  They are family recipes that were given to me after I earned friendship and almost family hood.  Sometimes food is just food, and sometimes it is something else.

To some Thai people, their family cookbook is protected till the death, it's the only thing they have of value.  Not all, but to some of the country people this is a fact.

Frank
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Absolutely you should cook that instead. We just finished eating burgers off the egg, and looking at your meal there, I would love to tear in to it. Looks amazing. \:D/
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    As usual, looks great VI. Man I would love to make it to Salado. Still considering it. Probably be a 5 to 6 hour drive.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Janssen14
    Options
    Understand..just was curious
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    VI, 
    I totally respect that.  I've posted food on various forums where people want the recipe.  If it's something I made up or discovered, I give it.  However when it comes to the Thai, I can't do it.  They are family recipes that were given to me after I earned friendship and almost family hood.  Sometimes food is just food, and sometimes it is something else.

To some Thai people, their family cookbook is protected till the death, it's the only thing they have of value.  Not all, but to some of the country people this is a fact.

Frank
    Thanks, Frank.  I've come up with recipes that took twenty or thirty tries to get it right, only to give it to someone who acts like they came up with it themselves, and without any acknowledgment.

Acknowledging someone for their contribution is called integrity, and there are folks here and on the other forum that need a lesson in that.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Janssen14
    Options
    Sorry for asking that was not my intent
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    No, that was fine, Janssen.  If I had gotten it off the internet, I would be more than happy to send it on.  I ask for recipes all the time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Sorry for asking that was not my intent
    Pretty sure he was not talking about you.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Janssen14
    Options
    I completely understand :) It just looks so damn good! I did your Kung pao and it was fantastic!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I completely understand :) It just looks so damn good! I did your Kung pao and it was fantastic!
    Great !!! I think I mentioned that the Kung Pao Shrimp came from rasamylasia.com.  If it's on the internet, it's fair game.  Still, I like to reference the author, when I can.  I have some recipes I got off the internet that I've lost the site where I found it, so I can't reference it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Janssen14
    Options
    Yeah there's some other good recipes onthat site as well
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    VI, another good looking meal man. ^:)^ I always look forward to your pictures and I think you have single handedly increased US wok sales by 5% in the last month!!! Do you happen to have a cai bao? I got one with my wok shop purchase. I really good and unique kitchen tool. It has been a conversation piece too when company is over.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Update:

I reference my note to Richard in an email and he responded.
    ------------------------------

Thank You for the kind words from the mountains to the sea.  I tried to log in and it has been so long that I have no idea what my login info is. 
    So here is the recipe and full permission to post it and any others that you may get from me. 
     I learned to share many years ago and have not ever held back a recipe from anyone. Richard.

Beef, Sirloin, Mongolian  INGREDIENTS:  Beef, Sliced 3-4 Tbs  Peanut Oil Vegetables:  Scallions, 1-1 1/2 inch pieces  Ginger Strips, Small 2 Cloves  Garlic, minced 2 to 4 dried red chili, seeded and crushed 1 lb  Bok choy, washed and sliced Sauce:  Chicken Broth 1 Tsp  Garlic 1 Tbs  Mushroom Soy 1/2 Tsp  Salt  1 Tsp  Sesame Oil 2 Tbs  Sugar 1 Tsp  Wine Cornstarch Paste: 3-4 Tbs  Cornstarch 3-4 Tbs  Water Beef Marinade: 2 Tbs  cornstarch 1 Tbs  oil 1 tsp  sesame oil 1/8 tsp  black pepper 2 tsp  sherry 2 tsp  ginger, grated

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Janssen14
    Options
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    VI, another good looking meal man. ^:)^ I always look forward to your pictures and I think you have single handedly increased US wok sales by 5% in the last month!!! Do you happen to have a cai bao? I got one with my wok shop purchase. I really good and unique kitchen tool. It has been a conversation piece too when company is over.
    Chubbs,

hahahahaha.  I had never heard of a cai bao, but I looked at a video after I read your post. About a year ago, after learning how to expertly sharpen a knife, I bought some expensive Japanese and German stainless steel kitchen knives.  Then, I learned about how much better carbon steel knives were because of ease of sharpening, so I bought some of them.

Now, I am forbidden to buy anything that has a sharp edge on it. Sure would like to play with a cai ba though. 
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.