Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions needed for Tilapia on Cedar Planks

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a few tilapia fillets I'm going to smoke on cedar planks. I have very little experience with fish on the egg. What temp would you guys recommend? Direct cook I assume. How long should I leave it on? Seasonings? Any other information you can provide would be appreciated?

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    on a plank makes the plank direct, but the fish indirect (which is the idea).  soak it as long as you can.  toss it on with the fish. don't let the plank heat up, because your just undoing the soak.  the whole idea with cedar is to delay the smoke until further into the cook.  too much can be a little strong.

i prefer cedar with salmon, because it's a little stronger fish, and salmon and cedar traditionally pair up.  but no reason it can't work with other fish.

maybe someone has a recipe for the fish itself.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante