Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Fat

Options
smoke_monster
smoke_monster Posts: 42
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is there a secret to prevent salmon fat from rising when smoking or grilling salmon?  Especially when I smoke salmon, I usually get some white fat that collects.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I think that is albumin you are seeing. Its a protein, not a fat, I've read that very careful low temperature control will stop it from seeping to the surface, and coagulating. I've not been able to do that.

A better solution for me has been a brief brining. I've read instructions that range from a 10% salt brine for 10 minutes to 20% for 20 min. I've tried the 10%, and had better results.

In a simpler time, I just scraped it off, and let some lemon pepper butter sit on the fish for a few minutes.
  • smoke_monster
    Options
    gdenby - thanks for the info - I will try brining next time.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    You can just wipe it off with a paper towel.  It's the same stuff that's in egg whites.