Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with butt

meat73
meat73 Posts: 140
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I put a 10lb on 24hrs ago according to my meat thermometer its holding right at 179  and has been for 2.5 hrs dome temp had been right around 250 but this morning was down to 220 when I checked so got it back up to 275 left it alone now I cranked it up to 325 hope to get to 350.  Does this seem right or is it possible my thermometer took a ****.  I wanted to buy a maverick 732 friday night but couldn't find one now i have one ordered offline.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I can't imagine you could cook a ten pound butt that long at that temp and it not be done. Something is off with either your meat thermometer or your dome thermometer...in my opinion.

I just cooked a butt at 350 the whole time so I wouldn't worry about that messing it up.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • That doesn't seem right to me at all.

Last week I had 42 pounds of Boston Butt on the XL... all 4 butts were done in 16 hours at a dome of 250 degrees.... Hell, go buy a $7 chef's thermometer, stick in there, close the lid... wait a few minutes and see if it's pegged out over 190.

24 hours is a long time! 

BOOMER!
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I have one on right now and it is at 183º after about 14 hours, it's been in a stall for about 2 hours.  I took a little piece of the edge about 1/2 hour ago and the taste is really great.  It snowed all night and it was pretty windy but the temperature stayed steady.

Gerhard
  • I put on a 7 lb one at 11 pm last night. Using digi q 250 grid temp at 6 am meat temp 167. hit 200 degrees
    at 12:30 pm today wrapped  and in cooler can't wait till time to eat.
  • Maybe check it with an instant read thermometer?  If your dome thermometer is reading high, and your grill temperature is really closer to 200, then it may not be hot enough for your butt to rise any higher in temperature?  I've experienced post plateau stalls when my temperature dropped close to 200.
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    It wasn't bad but definitely have room to improve I tossed the thermometer I had calibrated the dome so I know its close will try again.