Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Turkey ??

cooknkeepercooknkeeper Posts: 1
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever spatched a turkey??

• ribmasterribmaster Posts: 209 was good. I cut it up like chicken and can cook each piece to the correct temp rather than over cook breast to get thighs right.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,868
    About as good as it gets. image
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thanks much everyone!
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,638
    edited March 2012
    I have a LBGE and spatchcock around a 15# turkey-about the largest you can fit without getting creative.  Cook at about 350*F indirect for around 2-2.5 hrs til 160-165 in the breast. I ice the breast for 20-30 mins before cooking so the thigh gets to around 180+ at the same time.  Most disregard the ice-put the legs toward the back (hottest cook area) and all should be just fine.  Very moist-just like a chix on steroids!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,660
    I like 13 pounders cooked raised and direct at 375/400. Spatchcocked is about a 90 min cook. Very easy and good.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Did one a few weeks ago. Excellent result. I'll inject next time.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL