Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer problems

newby
newby Posts: 12
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have had trouble getting my BGE up to speed by it's thermometer so I purchased an oven thermometer, today I see the oven thermometer is 100 degrees higher than the BGE thermometer. Which one should I believe?

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Neither. Calibrate both of them. Appx 212 f in boiling water.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Have you calibrated both? Where is oven therm? Look at maverick et732, amazon has good prices and alot of people here use them. I have one and it's good
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Calibrate your dome thermometer. Stealing from The Naked Whiz site here are the instructions to calibrate your thermometer
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

neither. calibrated both of them. And then you can trust them to tell the temp where they are.

If the grill gauge is in the lid and the oven gauge on the grate there may be 40 or 50 degrees difference.

I prefer a digital readout. A typical dial bimetal will only be exact at one temp. You can set them to be correct at 212 which is close for a low and slow cook.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • newby
    Thanks everyone, you are the best! I will take your suggestions and calibrate my thermometers. I too would prefer a digital, thanks for the info on that.
  • newby
    edited March 2012

Mission accomplished, my BGE thermometer read about 60 degrees low so thanks for the info. I'm still going to look for a digital thermometer to use. Despite the problems this morning, the pork butt I cooked was so delicious, we devoured the whole thing!

Edited to say I went to Amazon and bought the Maverick digital. I already have a digital with meal probe but not one for the barbeque, looks like the nuts!