Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket Uh Oh

cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I made my first brisket and I'm concerned about some things. I put my 8lb brisket on at 4 a.m. I expected it to take 14 hours when cooking at 250. Much to my surprise, at 8 a.m the wireless thermometer alarm went off telling me that my internal temp had reached 190! When I went out, the temp had creeped up to 325 (my gasket is shot). 4 hours vs 14. Is it ruined? I took it off, wrapped it in foil and towels and put t in a cooler. How long will it stay hot? This was supposed to be dinner, not lunch.
Mark Annville, PA
·

Comments

• troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    Really? We're you cooking indirect? Did you place the therm in a different location? Maybe there was a hot spot? That just seems way too fast.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    @troutgeek cooked it with the plate setter on, legs up. Drip pan on on the plate setter. Brisket was sitting on the grid.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
    Someone will chime in here soon. I'm not very experienced with brisket.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Brisket sandwiches for lunch, burnt ends for dinner. Not bad! If a fork twists easily in the flat get it in some foil and hold it in a cooler. Chop the point and put it back on the egg at 250* for a couple of hours after lunch and sauce for another hour or so.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Ends aren't really burnt.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    No that's just what they are called

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Ok. Ive never cooked one before. Disappointed that it cooked so fast. Wanted to see how the egg would hold temp.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    edited March 2012
    @cortguitarman Have you calibrated your thermometer? I know you had the temp creep up to over 300 degrees but I cooked on my EGG for a year and the temp was 80 degrees hotter than the gauge showed. Just an idea and sorry if it is has been mentioned before.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
    This is guitarmans cook. All of my therms are calibrated.
    ·
    Yes, it seems that his therms may need calibration. 4 hours is surprisingly fast. Was that 325 at dome or at grid?
    ·
  • ribmasterribmaster Posts: 209

You need a controller. A BBQ Guru or Stoker would be perfect for you.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
    ·
    I actually calibrated the thermometer right before the cook.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 825

You need a controller. A BBQ Guru or Stoker would be perfect for you.

Or practice controlling the vents.

Gerhard
    ·
    Here it is, the mystery 4 hour 8 lb brisket. It was delicious! Rub was Tasty Licks Black Bart Brisket Rub.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,654
    Here it is, the mystery 4 hour 8 lb brisket. It was delicious! Rub was Tasty Licks Black Bart Brisket Rub.
    You are one lucky cooker-I have never heard of a brisket doing so well in such a short time.  Looks like a flat and all my experiences with that cut take around 1.8-2.1 hrs/# at a 250*F (+/-) on the dome.  Your temperature creep shouldn't make that much difference.  Celebrate cuz it likely won't happen again absent some change in the parameters.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
    edited March 2012
    Whew!  Glad it worked out for you.  Messes with your head when your first cook defies the averages.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    +1, gerhardt

dad always said, "learn to drive before relying on cruise control"
    :)>-
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
    +1, gerhardt

dad always said, "learn to drive before relying on cruise control"
    :)>-
    That, and just knowing how to use your egg during a power outage and the zombie apocalypse is very comforting.
    ·
  • dang zombies...

>-)
    BOOMER!
    ·
    I think I figured out part of the issue. I took the lid off yesterday because I had a new counter top put on my table. I didn't check closely enough because it was getting dark. There is an eighth inch gap on the back side of the egg between the dome and the body. I only realized it because I shut everything down this morning at 8 and noticed that it is still holding steady at 300 degrees. Rain cap is on and lower vent is closed and the Damn thing is still burning.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·