Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook with the Party Q

medic119
medic119 Posts: 80
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Started a small fire this morning in the egg.  I set the Party for 275 and have the DFMT with ovals open fully.  The Party is holding the temp. perfectly with this setting.  What I am wondering is that there is very little smoke coming out.  Do I need to close the DFMT a little more?

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited March 2012
    I would have it closed about 1/2 ovals or slightly less.  The powered vent systems can push the air out, and I think some people even close the DFMT.  I don't think this will help with the smoke though.
  • medic are you speaking of smoke from wood chips
  • medic119

I put two chunks of hickory in the egg when I put the meat on.  I closed the ovals to half as Cowdogs suggested and the temp is still perfect and you can smell smoke.  The egg is burning clean. 

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • what are you grilling
  • medic119
    I have two pork shoulders on for a drop off of pulled pork and smoked chicken tomorrow.  I am planning on cooking the pork today and pulling and the smoked chicken in the morning.  I have to deliver it before noon thirty miles from home so planning on reheating the pork in the morning and placing in a cooler for the drive.  I normally do not travel that far with cooked food.  We will see what happens.
  • i am planning on doing a butt tonight hope to have done by 2 pm tomorrow  to be able to wrap and cooler for 5pm meal. ? you are in waynesboro 

• medic119

I am in Waynesboro grillinmike.  I have lived here for 15 years.

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    @medic, don't worry, the smoke will
    Flavor the meat, Ben tho you can't see it, it's there. I would not close daisy wheel completely. You need the to have air flow the smoke does need to exit.

Pau
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    closing the wheel will make the fan run more. it will still hold the temp but as said will not effect the smoke. With the Party the fan running will run the batterys down faster. I would not close it.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • medic119
    I kept the daisy wheel with the ovals half closed.  I guess being new to the egg, I am not used to that clean of a burn.  The pork was at 200 degrees 9 hours in the cook.  I believe that this is the moistest pork I have ever cook.  IMHO the combination of the BGE, the PartyQ and the thermopen has the ability to turn an above average BBQer into a great BBQer.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    medic119 You are correct. The controller really makes the egg a set it and forget it cooker. And the thermapen should keep you from undercooking anything. Really all you have to do is not overcook.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.