Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now my Costco has the MBGE for sale

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So my local Costco is selling the MBGE.

I wanted a small to go with my large but hmmmmmmm.  Is this a good deal?
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Where's your Costco?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Just remember, no warranty other than Costco's ability to refund your money.
    The Naked Whiz
  • cazzy
    San Antonio, TX
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

Can't advise on the Med vs Small choice, but the appearance of these is a bit ground-shaking in terms of BGE tightly controlling sales including no online sales.

Word is that BGE is pursuing legal action against whatever distribution entity is moving these to Costco - but I dunno. 

Could BGE see the market effectiveness of their distribution model loosing oomph? 

I'm just wondering if BGE is going to follow a similar path as taken by Treager, the pellet stove mfr when they started selling outside their long established distributor network.  

• cazzy
    Yeah, I think i'm gonna wait and get a small from a eggfest.  Do eggfest eggs come with warranties Whiz?
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    The Costco near me in Atlanta is selling them now. They assembled it wrong...The dome is installed backwards with the thermometer facing towards the back.
  • cazzy
    @tjp1060 they did the same here too.  lol
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited March 2012

maybe BGE is stelling them through costo on purpose. 

you just dont lose inventory of $300-400 items like that without either someone stealing a truck load. or they sold costco some excess inventory.

and if you went to a dealer or even called BGE why wouldn't they honor the lifetime warrantee?

It is not an internet sale. Just an honest question.  But we do buy a lot of stuff at costco, and you cannot beat their cash back, no questions warrantee.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    The Costco in Plano has them too. Same price. 

I don't for one second believe these ended up in Costco without somebody at BGE knowing.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Yeah, I think i'm gonna wait and get a small from a eggfest.  Do eggfest eggs come with warranties Whiz?
    Sorry, not Whiz. But to answer your question: YES. At an Eggfest you have a dealer selling the Demo
    Eggs. Full Warranty.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    @Steve. My Costco card is an American Express Card and it gives a warranty if charging. So no Egg lifetime warranty but I think you get up to a year with AX.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    @Mickey I know all of your orders are fulfilled for non-large at the Salado fest but what are yall selling the demo smalls for (without nest)?
  • Mickey
    Our Small was with nest at $499. I will make a call if you like.

• cazzy
    @Mickey I was trying to get a baseline for what they go far at fests.

I'm hoping to make it to the Salado fest but it's up in the air at the moment. I will be going to the one in Austin so I'll likely pick one up there. I really appreciate the offer though. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    bge used to let eggs be sold for sale online, they did it for years and it was even promoted on the forums  until it was a no no, then it went on for a few more years til no more. then a seller was doing it again, did it for a while  and everyone complained for not, kept doing it until he ran an eggfest
    :))  there is no way costco is getting enough eggs to sell without permission, costco is huge, what do they need, 5000 eggs, 10,000 eggs to run a promotion, that doesnt send red flags
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Just as SAMs slipped through the cracks as well **==

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    My family has been in wholesale distribution from a long time. BGE is biting the hand that feeds them.  
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    edited March 2012
     costco is huge, what do they need, 5000 eggs, 10,000 eggs to run a promotion, that doesnt send red flags

Not only that, but these eggs are supplied to Costco on a consignment basis and Costco gets a cut of whatever is sold.  Whatever doesn't sell goes back to Costco's vendor. 

Now, we aren't seeing the Large units there and I suspect you won't .  I think BGE has allowed some distributor to work as a go between with Costco, supplying only the mediums which are probably sold in very small proportions of overall numbers by the existing network. 

There's no sales staff at costco to advise that the buyer won't be able to get all the cool aftermarket goodies and that they might well wish they had the extra space for a large.

But these costco buyers will own an Egg, and will probably want to go check out a large or other size egg at a dealer after making their impulse buy at costco.  That's probably the pitch that BGE has prepared for their distributors, that this move will drive informed, brand loyal bbq enthusiasts into their stores for high margin accessories.

• fishlessman
     costco is huge, what do they need, 5000 eggs, 10,000 eggs to run a promotion, that doesnt send red flags

Not only that, but these eggs are supplied to Costco on a consignment basis and Costco gets a cut of whatever is sold.  Whatever doesn't sell goes back to Costco's vendor. 

Now, we aren't seeing the Large units there and I suspect you won't .  I think BGE has allowed some distributor to work as a go between with Costco, supplying only the mediums which are probably sold in very small proportions of overall numbers by the existing network. 

There's no sales staff at costco to advise that the buyer won't be able to get all the cool aftermarket goodies and that they might well wish they had the extra space for a large.

But these costco buyers will own an Egg, and will probably want to go check out a large or other size egg at a dealer after making their impulse buy at costco.  That's probably the pitch that BGE has prepared for their distributors, that this move will drive informed, brand loyal bbq enthusiasts into their stores for high margin accessories.

and maybe if the legal action is warranted, wouldnt it be in the interest of bge to sue for warraty of the owners over their own personal gain instead of just saying costco eggs have no warranty . i would assume bge already got their payment for said eggs
    fukahwee maine

• Mr_Pigo
    Mr_Pigo Posts: 13
    I bought a large from Costco. Did chicken last night, ribs tonight. It's great. Went to the dealer and got a large platesetter no problem
  • cazzy
    I bought a large from Costco. Did chicken last night, ribs tonight. It's great. Went to the dealer and got a large platesetter no problem

Where are you located?? The only Costco larges I've heard of this far have come from Canada so I'm curious if you're from the states.
  • fishlessman
    take your cracked base to that dealer and see what he says about warrantee when you tell him where you bout it. its all about the warranty
    fukahwee maine

• Mr_Pigo
    So here is my feeling on the warenty. Lets say you can buy an egg with an exchange warranty. The salesman says hey I can sell you an extended lifetime warranty for $350. I paid 899 for the egg nest and side tables I would pass on the extra 350. Oh ya the 350 extra is what I would have paid if I went to the dealer to get it.

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    If your base needs to be replaced the company would provide the product at no cost to the dealer. The dealer should not be pay ing for the base.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mr_Pigo
    you are missing the point. The savings outweighs the warranty in my opinion.
  • cazzy
    I think everyone is assuming the HQ won't offer a warranty. Is this 100% certain and confirmed? Its quite possible the HQ will cover the egg.

@Mr_Pigo Did you register your egg?
  • Mickey
    Mr P at most Fests the Large with nest and platesetter and warranty is $745.

• Mr_Pigo
    I am nowhere near an eggfeast. Hell my dealer isn't even open weekends
  • Mr_Pigo
    I think everyone is assuming the HQ won't offer a warranty. Is this 100% certain and confirmed? Its quite possible the HQ will cover the egg.

@Mr_Pigo Did you register your egg?
    Yup registered it the other day.
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012
    A distributor from Canada said just a few days ago no warranty.