Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good sandwiches to make ahead on the egg...

EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Outside of beef sandwiches (made those last week) and pulled pork.  What are some other good meats I can cook ahead of time for sandwiches for the week.

Thanks!
Large BGE

Comments

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Whole chickens, pull meat, like pork. Make some chicken salad as well. Pork loin for sandwiches are great too, usually put on biscuits.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • EddieK76
    Do you do anything special with the pork loin?  What would you put on the pork loin sandwich?  Just serve it cold?
    Large BGE

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I've seen some nice Pastrami on here. Maybe some will post details.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    @eddie I season the loin like you would any other cook. I only cut what we eat. When making sammiches I will cut a piece off. I usually put a little homemade sauce or just mustard on it. I have eaten it cold or warmed, both are good. In summer I will put a big mater slice on it. And for breakfast I have fried egg and some sharp cheddar or muenster cheese on biscuit.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A classic is pastrami. Take a corned beef, and soak it in water in the 'fridge for at least 24 hours, to 48, changing the water every 12. Rub w. pastrami spices (there are many blends), and cook to about 195F. Slice thin and steam before using.

Uncured pork belly. I get mine at an Asian market. Can slice the skin off either before or after. Before, a little more fat cooks out. After, the skin comes off really easy.  Coat with a good rub, and cook indirect around 250. The ones I've done take about 4 hours. The result is intensely flavorful and rich. I use thin slices sparingly in sandwiches with other things.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    turkey with cranberry and stuffing sandwhiches, pork loin is great(really pile on the spices with porkloin and most everything works, i use op older rubs on it), corned beef goes on sale a week or so after stpats day, stock up with a few in the freezer for pastrami for ruebens. chicken is always good. hams are great, get egrets or dr chickens double smoked recipe for incredible ham for sandwiches and or scoalloped potatoes. im from newengland, baked bean sandwhiches are a given. on the egg, dont forget cubans, cook between two castiron fry pans and you dont have to make them traditional, meatball and sausage cubans are great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EddieK76
    All these sound great!   Man I appreciate you all so much!
    Large BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcock turkey. 12 lb bird cooked direct and high in the dome only takes about an hour and a half. Very easy cook with lots of leftovers.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EddieK76
    I really want to spatchcock a chicken/turkey but I'm worried that I would mess up the butchering.

Large BGE

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    @Eddie To spatchcock a bird use kitchen shears, by far the easiest method. If you don't have kitchen shears, like me, then place the bird head down on a cutting board (I put a towel under my so it does wiggle), hold the Pope's Nose that flap at the base of the back bone, slice down about 1/2 the back on one side then the other that should get you to the ribs. You will need a little more umph to get through the ribs but a good sharp chef's knife will go right through them. Pull off the back bone and practice your CPR skills to flatten. I have used this method with both chickens and turkeys and still have all my fingers.

Season both the underside and the skin side and roast/grill.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I really want to spatchcock a chicken/turkey but I'm worried that I would mess up the butchering.

You won't mess it up. Super easy. Lay the bird breast down and use a pair of kitchen shears or knife and cut on each side of the backbone. The backbone will be removed. Turn the bird over breast side up and push down to flatten a little. This is all you have to do. I usually remove the keel bone, but not neccessary. Go for it! Don't be scared! Have fun.
    Geaux Tigers!!!