Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3rd Pizza Cook

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I think I am getting the hang of this.  Well cooked, crispy crust with no scorch.

First picture shows first time use of an XL stone raised off the plate setter. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Missing the cold beer!  Looks very good.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options

Pizza looks great! Ok, that does it, no more cornmeal. I am going to try parchment next time.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • LongArm
    LongArm Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes, looks very good. Please give us the details of your technique. You know, pre-heat, temp, time, grill set up, etc. I've had good luck with mine, but always like to learn how others do it.     
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Pretty pedestrian dough bought at Publix.  Cooked at their recommended temperature of 400 degrees.  Everything well heated up and held at temperature for an hour before I cooked.  You can see the raised stone.  Smoked with large chunk, dry cherry.  Put on for 10 minutes, then rotated.  Came off around 20 minutes.  I did two, and tried leaving one on the parchment, and took the other off the paper at about 5 minutes.  The second, with paper removed, was better.

Oh, and wiped the stone with a wet cloth before setting each pie on it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• LongArm
    Options
    Ok, I use the same dough. Any issue about letting the dough get closer to room temp or not? I think I need to add "rotate" to my tech, and lower my temp a little (now usually about 600). I have not used parchment paper,....yet. What do you think wiping with a wet cloth does for it? Thanks   
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The parchment makes it so easy to move from the peeler to the stone.  Slide it out at about 5 minutes.  Make sure you trim it enough that it does not catch fire on the edges (dooohhh).  I think that is too hot for this dough, but the rotating and elevating the stone helps with scorching over hot spots.  I cannot prove, but I read, that wiping the stone momentarily cools the stone and prevents the scorching.

Oh, and let the dough sit for at least an hour before rolling.  That definitely makes a difference with the Publix dough.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use publix dough and preheat at 500 and then open the vents once the pizza is on and it ends at 550 degrees or so when the pizza is done after 10-12 minutes. I do platesetter feet up with grate and then a spring form pan on the grate with the pizza stone on the spring form pan to get it high in the dome.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    One thing is true on this forum, for every cook there is the right way, the wrong way, and my way :-)

• LongArm
    Options
    I just finished two pies tonight, and both were good, still with plenty of room for improvement. I will be adding/trying the paper, temp, and rotating next time. We love pizza on the bge, so it won't be long.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,472
    Options
    Oh, and wiped the stone with a wet cloth before setting each pie on it.
    I'd be really scared about doing this.  I would think a wet cloth would rapidly cool the top surface of the stone, resulting in cracking/shattering just like a drop of water on a light bulb.  Glad it didn't happen... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options
    Great looking pizza! Might short circuit the keyboard drooling on it.  We do not have Publix here in az. What type of dough is it? Crust really looks good.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I have been told that it is actually bread dough, and not authentic pizza.  Taste awfully good though.  I would say it has a texture kind of like crispy frenchbread.

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options
    Authentic pizza dough or not it looks like a winner.  Thanks