Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help. I can't make up my mind.

Layinpipe
Layinpipe Posts: 5
edited March 2012 in Root
I am trying to decide on which egg to buy. I was given a long table for the large and I have seen most accessories are for the large. I want the space of the xl though. Will the 3 tier work on the xl sitting on the original grate. I can't see why it wouldn't. I don't do a lot of big bbqs but if there is the need to I would like to have the space. I have heard all the accessories cost more but that's not really a con. I just want to b able to utilize all accessories available. Any thoughts or input would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    The large has more toys. Get a Large and a Mini or Small so you can do dif temps at same time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have a XL and I love it! I'm one of those bigger is better types though. Get whatever you can afford.
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

The XL has plenty of accessories.  I think the only accesories that might be "missing" for the XL are the ones that are simply not needed for the XL...

An example this would be the Hi_Que charcoal grate, which is simply unecessary for the XL.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    This is a perennial question. There are many people that have multiple Eggs that together cost more than an XL. The general opinion seems to be that the versatility of multiple Eggs is more often desirable than having a large cooking space. Which ends up meaning that buying a large and a small, and loading up on large accessories covers more cooking situations.

Myself, I have 2 mediums. Together they have a little less cooking area than a large and small. I love being able to cook 2 entirely different main dishes at once, or a main and sides. But if I were starting over, I would probably go with a large and small.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    If I'm not mistaken to use the three tier setup I think you would need the short fire ring also. On the standard ring you may be getting up too high in the dome. Tough question being you have a table. Can it be modified for the xl? How many do you normally cook for?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Your situation describes mine to a T. I went with the XL and haven't looked back.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I have an XL and love it, wouldn't mind a smaller one though as well for just the weef and I.  
  • Have a medium, and adding an XL in the near future. Get the XL.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The ideal combination is large, large and mini IMHO. I believe this is true cause I have a small, medium and XL in the garage.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Get both.  You can smoke on one and cook lunch on the other, or (most often in my case) cook at two different temperatures.

Seriously, get the largest one the budget will allow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Doc scares me, in a good way of course...
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    My plan is large first and then small. I am half way there.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I second Mickey. Get a large and small or mini. I want an xl but can't justify it because I haven't found anything I can't cook in one of my larges. I also love my small and mini. We have 10 plus people over every Wednesday and I cook for them on the small and mini out front.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012
    Had Small, Large, &Mini. Just never used Small. Sold the Small and ordered another Large. Was cooking on the Mini and it came to me that most of my cooks were on that Mini. Why did i need another Large? I did not, so reordered to another Mini and to it just works. Thought about a XL but never loaded the Large that full yet. I am cool with 2 Minis and a back-up Large. Lit is correct in you need a reason for an XL ( that is a lot of space).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    My XL will go three tiers high. I have ps legs up, porcelin grid ( 24" ) 18" elevated grid, that sits on a 24" bottom ring so I get full space on bottom. Then a 16" clip on grid for the third tier.
    More meat please !! :-)