Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low and slow

Options
meat73
meat73 Posts: 140
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Going to get Maverick 732 do youneed to cover or protect your probes when using them or will they just take the heat?  What for wood does everyone recomend for this?  Its 10lbs so could figure 20 to 24 hrs at 225 correct.  Yellow mustard and Byrons but rub sound ok.  Any other suggestions.  Was planning on going and picking up maverick tonight but lost of white stuff falling here right now so will see

Thanks for the help

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I think the probes are rated to 600 degrees or so.   I have never wrapped or done anything to protect the probes from heat - have never had any problems.   Warmest I have used them is doing Spatch chicken - so 350-400 range.

Missing something - you said 10lb's.   Is that a pork shoulder or a brisket?  

Cookin in Texas
  • apollo140140
    Options
    i have done just the bad byron's and it was great, never tried the yellow mustard. I have the ET-73 and for smoking the wires didn't have to be covered.  I think the instructions that came with it said do not let the probe wires be exposed to more than 450 degrees.
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    Pork brisket maybe next weekend
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    What is a pork brisket? Kinda like a turducken?
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    732 can allegedly take heat to 700 something degrees, although I would advise going there.  Only issue will be smoke stained probes, but able to take the heat.  Seems like an awful long time for pork, but I heard about some 20+ cooks.  I never had a pork butt cook over 14-16 hours.  I like the yellow mustard because it makes the rub stick well and good for the bark. 
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Just discovered pecan wood. I'm done with everything else. Very smooth and great flavor.

Just for reference my last 8 lbs butt cooked in 13 hours. Start your butt early to ensure its ready by your target time. Cook to 195, remove and wrap in foil, then a beach towel, and put it in a cooler until your guests arrive. Believe me, you don't want hungry guests and an angry wife because your meat took longer then you may have estimated.

Mustard and Byron's butt rub is a great combo. Good luck!

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @ OP-if you are planning on 225*F on the dome, you are initially looking at anywhere from 20-40*F+ lower at the grate.  You should take the dome to around 250*F (+/-) as that seems to be a natural "sweet spot" for BGE low&slows and will help move the cook along.  Give yourself time to wrap and pack as mentioned above. Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.