Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large cast iron grid on top of adjustable rig

trout1
trout1 Posts: 104
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know this is not recommended.  Does anyone use the large cast iron grid on top of the adjustable rig?  If so, do you ever have trouble with it sliding?  I have bought one but I haven't used it yet.  I have the spider, but the one for it is only 13''.  If I needed to cook more than two steaks at once seems like the large would be a better way to go.  you also could cook several hamburgers or other things on it.  I don't want to buy both, but if I should just keep the large I would like to use it on top of the rig to get more use of it.  What are your thoughts on this delemma?  Also, what are your thoughts on a cast iron grid in general?  This is my first post.  Any help on this would be appreaciated.  Thanks.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012

Not sure why you would want to put CI on top of the adj rig. That is where I cook chicken, turkey, abt's, etc. The items you named go lower. If the 13" CI on the spider is not enough just remove your fire ring and place larger CI there. As to if I like CI or not, the answer is no. That is a no for me, Have the larger and the 13". Found I did not have to have grill marks in my meat and now have SS for the 13" and the larger. I am a very lazy person.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• trout1
    Thanks Mickey for the input.  I may take it back and get the 13'' for steaks.  I don't know yet.  Stll thinking.
  • Mickey
    Just remember you can take that firering out and get real hot with just the reg grill and have lots more room  if needed. I always got 4 good size  steaks on the 13" cooking off the spider.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• trout1
    I didn't know that you could put that many on it.  Most of the time I would cook only three max.  The large is heavy and would be more trouble on the upkeep than the ss or porcein grid I would think.
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012
    Trout I do mostly NY Strips and 3 will fit. Unless you are doing very big any other cuts 3 will fit. Did i tall you I was lazy. The maintance comes calling.....

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    For steaks and chops I use the large CI grid @ the regular level. I set the AR rig on top of the CI grid and after searing remove the meat and finish it with the regular SS grid set on top of the AR. The pork chops pictured were seared on the CI @ 500 degrees dome temp. for 90 secs., turned 90 secs. and then flipped for 90 secs. Then they were finished to 150 internal on the SS grid atop the AR.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • trout1

Thanks billyray for the info and pic. So would you recommend that I keep the large CI grid instead of going for the 13'' to use in the Spider?   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have both CI grids and use both frequently. The 13" in the spider is the one I would say I need though. 3 good sized rib eyes fit on the 13" pretty easilyimage
  • billyray

I would keep it only because you can put more on it and you already have it. You'll get a good sear and grill marks @ 500, then at that temp. it is easier to get down to 350-400 for the raised finished. Instead of going to 650 for the initial sear. On the other hand the 13" will be closer to the fire, so you won't have to go as high as 500 to get a good sear and it will be faster to get the temp. down to finish.

I must not be as old as Mickey yet, as I still love grill marks

=))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    I have both, I use the 13" when I'm only searing a smaller amount. It's only money and you can't take it with you, might as well enjoy al lthe toys now!
  • trout1
    Thanks for the comments. I will think about keeping it and getting the 13'' too.  You are so right that we can't take that money with us.
  • @ Lit, that is a freaking great picture.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Lit - nice steak pic. I've been wanting to get a smaller cast iron grate to sear steaks with my spider.

I finally got the Japanese 6000/1000 combo waterstone. Do you sharpen your knives one section at a time or turn the knife so you get the whole side with one slide?
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Lit
    I do both. If you are just honing it I usually do 3 full slides with each side and then 2 full slides and then 1 on the 6000 side. If I have let it go for awhile I will do section by section and usually start with 5 passes forward and backwards each section on each side then 3 passes and then 1 pass. After I do the sections I repeat the honing process above. Go to chefknivestogo.com and watch the videos they are really good.
  • Lit
    @ Lit, that is a freaking great picture.
    Thanks. Taken with a Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens. Fun lens to play with.