Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Stir Fry

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Like a kid with a new toy, I had to break out the wok again last night (what am I saying? I am a kid with a new toy). It went so well the other night, we just had to have stir fry again last night.

Mise En Place

Camera died so thise last one was shot with my cell phone.  :(

The Whole Story Here

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Awesome.  I'm going to start stir frying a few times a week, myself.  Fun.

Are you using peanut oil exclusively?  The guy at the Asian market here said lots of authentic cooks use Sesame..  He may have just been selling me a bottle of oil, though.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options

Great looking shrimp stirfry Griffin!  Love the  "Mise En Plas". It really helps organize a cook.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Griffin
    Options

Are you using peanut oil exclusively?  The guy at the Asian market here said lots of authentic cooks use Sesame..  He may have just been selling me a bottle of oil, though.
    Yeah, so far, its stood up to the high heat, so I've been happy with it. I maybe wrong, but isn't sesame oil more expensive?

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options

Great looking shrimp stirfry Griffin!  Love the  "Mise En Plas". It really helps organize a cook.

Thanks, Randy. Is it Mise en Plas or Place? I googled it, but all I found was "place". I'm by far no expert, just an amateur back yard cook.

Rowlett, Texas

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    MM.  Sesame oil has a distinctive flavor, and is used in tons of Chinese recipes.  But, it's not for being the agent for stir frying.  That would overpower any dish you cook.  You want to use either peanut oil or grape seed oil, because they both have high smoke points and also do not impart any flavoring, per se.

So, I think your Asian grocer misunderstood.  He is right that lots of authentic cooks use sesame oil, but I'm sure he meant as part of a recipe.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Options
    We've got a small bottle of sesame oil, but like VI said, we only use it in recipes.

Rowlett, Texas

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    MM.  Sesame oil has a distinctive flavor, and is used in tons of Chinese recipes.  But, it's not for being the agent for stir frying.  That would overpower any dish you cook.  You want to use either peanut oil or grape seed oil, because they both have high smoke points and also do not impart any flavoring, per se.

So, I think your Asian grocer misunderstood.  He is right that lots of authentic cooks use sesame oil, but I'm sure he meant as part of a recipe.

I think it's more likely I misunderstood.  He was also sold out of peanut oil at the time, lol
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Randy1
    Options

Griffin said :"Thanks, Randy. Is it Mise en Plas or Place? I googled it, but all I found was "place". I'm by far no expert, just an amateur back yard cook."

@ Griffin -No it is "Mise En Place" I think I was seeing how to pronounce as "miz on plas". I got mixed up. Would someone kindly tell me how to do these blue blocks when a reference from another conversation is needed????        

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Randy,

Go to the post you want to reference.  To the right of the poster's name and time, there is the word "Quote".
    Click on that.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Randy1
    Options
    Thanks
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Randy1
    Options
    Randy,

Go to the post you want to reference.  To the right of the poster's name and time, there is the word "Quote".
    Click on that.

Thanks
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Randy,

Click on that.

Thanks
    By Jove, I think you've got it (using a British accent here).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Randy1
    Options

LOL. (really I did)

Maumelle, Arkansas