Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Logistical question

flachick
flachick Posts: 40
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
We are planning on making pizza tonight on our large egg.  After that, I would like to take the temp down to 250 and do an overnight Boston Butt. I know I need the charcoal up to the top of the fire grate for the high temp cook.  Do you suppose there will be enough left to cook overnight without refilling? Or will there be too much ash?  What is the best way to get the temp down in a reasonable period of time? I was thinking of putting the daisy wheel on, barely cracked open, and all but closing the bottom vent.  We've successfully done several boston butts overnight, but never as a second cook of the night.  Any advice would be welcome. 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,430
    I think cooling it down will be the hardest part.  After cooking the pizzas I'd close the thing off completely, and hopefully in four hours open it back up, replenish lump if necessary, re-light, stabilize and throw in the butt.

Having more than one Egg helps, too... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited March 2012

+ 1 with Botch-depending on the size of the BB you will likely want to add lump as the hot pizza cook will consume quite a bit.  Good luck with this and the quest for the other egg:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    + 1
    Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Adding lump will quench the fire a bit if you close the vents for an hour or so, open the vents then lift the dome you can stir the lump and add more if you need to. Leave the platesetter outside the egg and that will help cool it too. When you add the cold meat it should be good to go with your normal settings.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• flachick
    flachick Posts: 40
    Thank y'all for the advice.  We're going with plan "C." My son, who does the overnights for us, informed me he's not going to be home tonight.  But, he volunteered to get up early tomorrow to help get things started. So it's pulled pork for dinner instead of lunch. Whatever works.  But again, thank you.