Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fish on the egg

Options
gdawgs24
gdawgs24 Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

looking for some ideas on what type of fish to cook for the family tonight. my wifes dad is coming into town and really want to impress him with the egg. so if anyone has any recipes on a good fish please help me out. i was thinking salmon but will take all the help i can get

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options

Blacken some catfish. All you need is a iron skillet, Paul Prudomme's "blackening majic" and some butter. Quick easy and good!

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options

Or blacken salmon....needs to be in steaks though

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • RustyBrainpan
    Options
    I am a big fan of "short smoking" salmon.  I crank up the egg for indirect at 375-400 with some hickory or other wood.  I have tried mesquite, cherry, apple and like hickory the best.  I use 4-6 oz skin on salmon and put them in a foil "boat" just to contain the salmon oils (well lubricated with Pam or oil).  We season the salmon with salt and cayenne, but you can use anything you like.  I cook for an internal temperature of 145, usually about 15-20 mins depending on the size.  Smaller pieces get a little more smoke flavor I think.  The salmon will have just the right amount of smoke and be very moist and flake easily.  We do this about once a week - gotta get the Omega 3s!  Sorry the picture is a little out of focus, I was ready to eat!

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Grouper, snapper, mahi, or monkfish. Maybe hard to find if you don't live near the coast. I like to lightly marinade the snapper and mahi in a mojo marinade for about 30 minutes then put some Cajun or Jerk seasoning on it before it hits the grill. With grouper or monkfish just brush lightly with evoo and put just a small bit of whatever seasoning you like before it hits the grill.
  • GADuckaholic
    Options
    I have done tilapia before and it turned out excellent. I put the filets in individual tin foil boats, covered them with old bay seasoning and lemon juice and fired up the egg to about 350-400 indirect. I threw in a small handfull of apple chips which really gave them a nice flavor. All in all it took about 30-45 minutes including prep time. Put those bad boys over a bed of wild grain rice and you have your self a fine main course!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

en papillote works great for  fish on the egg

Put the sea bass in and topped with some of the butter sauce
    Then some fresh tarragon, parsley, thyme and chives
    Folded the parchment and oiled and on to the egg on a raised grid
    at 350*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    If you have a Sam's close by they sell individually wrapped skinless filets of Atlantic Salmon. They are frozen but we've thawed them in a cold water bath and they turn out fine. I hit em with some Dizzy Pig Raging River rub and put on the egg at about 400 for about 4 minutes a side. I use a Weber perforated grill platter designed for fish. Weber also makes a pretty good seafood rub if you don't have anything else in mind.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN