Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beginners luck on General Tso's Chicken

Options
Randy1
Randy1 Posts: 379
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

I got my wok spatula in today and felt like breaking it in!I tried my luck at general chicken tonight. It was much easier than I thought and very very good. It was the recipe that was on the forum a few days ago on the "Wok out" post. I posted a few pictures, so have a look. I would highly recommend this recipe!

Maumelle, Arkansas

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice man
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Looks great Randy. Cannot wait to get my wok. I will look up that recipe. Love Generals!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Randy1
    Options

Lot of fun! Thanks Guys

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
     Check out that lava!  Looks delicious!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    That looks perfect, Randy !  Good job !!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Randy1
    Options
    Thank you Village Idiot! One question if I may..there is some gunk(almost like oil build up) at the top portion of my wok and I got one of those bamboo brushes you recommended. I scrubbed it and scrubbed it and it wont come off. ( I noticed how MM's wok looked very clean all over. It is almost like the upper portion of the wok is not seasoned or something. A few specks of "seasoned surface"  are chipping off as well in one spot) It looked pretty good while i was frying the chicken but that sticky sauce is what i think stuck to it. And did it ever stick. Any Help?
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Randy,  from time to time, I'll get a buildup like yours, and do the same thing you did.  Then,  after a few cooks later, it is gone.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Interesting that it is on the top portion of your wok.  To me, that shows how swirling oil on a hot wok helps in making it nonstick.  You probably didn't get the oil to the top (I don't either).

Typically, all I use is one of those yellow/green sponges with hot water and it cleans up well.  You might want to clean the wok right after you eat.  Sometimes, I'll forget and leave it out by the Egg until the next day, and it seems harder to clean then.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Randy1
    Options
    Thank you. I feel better now!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    Options
    Hey all you wok'ers...  do you use the wok ring to concentrate the heat up under the wok, or just place the wok directly on the grate?
  • Randy1
    Options
    No ring...and I used a spider to rest the wok
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    When I wok on my Large, I use a spider.
    I don't have a spider for my medium, so I use a wok ring for stability and set it on the grid..

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Looks great.   Havent got a wok yet but I am inspired.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nicely done, Randy. Wokking sure has been popular this week.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings