Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Botched Spatch Round 2!! Will not let it get the best of me!!!!!

Options
NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I am going for Spatch round 3! My first Spatch was perfect. 2nd went into file 13. 3rd one is now on the Egg. I got my Woo from Tom at CGS (simply awesome Tom thanks!) and also got my High Que SS grill grate from Amazon. Cleaned the Egg all the way out and put in all the new pieces. Brought er up to 375 ( with both dampers almost closed....sweet High Que thanks!!) and now just put the Chicky on!! Very anxious and watching intently to see how this on turns out! HUNGRY!!!!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Keep up posted how it turns out....

Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The only thing you can do wrong is overcook it. Well I guess you could undercook it too but those are definitely the only two things you could do wrong...no wait you could oversmoke it but I digress

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NightwingXP
    Options
    It turned out excellent! I think that I will not tuck the legs into cut sections in the skin any longer as the joints deep in where the drumstick meets the thigh was just a little bloody in one leg. I think that this is preventing the heat from getting directly to the joint. Lesson learned. Still great Spatch though! The juices just ran out of it. Loved it! This Egg would make spam taste good!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Did you tie the legs together? You might want to leave them loose and spread them apart a bit next time. Looks good!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2012
    Options

Nightwing you are just wrong about spam. For spam to taste good you must put it on fresh white bread with mustard and onion. The spam must be just out of the can.

Congrates are in order for your spatchcock..... Look at next time about 10 min's before done put your best bbq sauce on it... Very good as well.....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Dammit Mickey

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options

What Steven?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    My usual response to Hoss when he talks Loney and Spam and chitterlings :-&

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options

oh

3:-O :@) ~:>

• NightwingXP
    Options
    GACK!!! I agree about the spam
    :-&

Thanks Mickey, Steven. I thought about separating the legs as well. I usually just cut a slit in the skin at the bottom of the breast and tuck the drumsticks into the slits. I think I will stop doing this from now on. Mickey your idea about the BBQ sauce seems right on as it made my mouth water thinking about it, thanks! Appreciate the feedback! I'm learnin!
  • Mickey
    Options
    Guys I have not had a spam on white (or anyway) in the past 30 years. And sure don't / will not put on one of my eggs..... Steven and I have a friend that is the friggen King of said products and such products.....

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I got a roasting rack right off the back, started out cooking chick's on the rack.   After seeing the enthusiam on this forum for the Spatch approach - tried it - will be a long time before I go back to the rack again.   Have done 4 or 5 in the last 2 weeks - love how easy, fast, and tasty they turn out.

Great job - looks delicious.

Cookin in Texas