Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Different types of smoke wood-how many on hand?

lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,036
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just curious as to the types of smoke wood others may keep "at the ready".  My reservoir-Jack Daniels soaked oak, white oak, cherry, apple, hickory and pecan. Sometimes tough to appreciate the smoke differences after several low&slow libations before the end results.

Louisville
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,113
    edited March 2012
    Have what you do except the apple and have Mesquite
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,433
    Cherry, apple and pecan here.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
    Cherry, apple and pecan here.

Mike
    Mike that Jack Daniels  is fun just to open and inhale. Good on steak and burgers.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    Apple, cherry, hickory, pecan
    ·
  • mustgrillmustgrill Posts: 141
    Hickory, Pecan, Apple, Peach and Mesquite. I really can't tell much from the peach and apple. I use mostly Hickory, Apple and Mesquite. Pecan is really great on Beef Filet wrapped with bacon. I have bought so many over the years these are the 4 I like and the 3 I use most.
    Located in Western North Carolina
    ·
  • EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 794
    Hickory, Apple, Cherry, and wine soaked Alder
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Pecan, hickory, oak, and mesquite. 

Pecan is always for pork, and the rest are dependent on what I want at the time (hickory for delicate smoke, oak for heavy smoke, and mesquite for it's distinctive flavor on beef.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Oak wine barrel staves, Apple, Cherry, Peach, Pear, Apricot, Plum and Hickory

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

·
  • pabpab Posts: 95
    Apple, cherry, hickory, pecan
    +1
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 962
    Pecan
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • ribmasterribmaster Posts: 209

Pecan and black cherry...home cut.

Hickory and apple...store bought.

I avoid mesquite wood and charcoal.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,525
    Persimmon, white oak, red oak, apple, cherry, peach, fig, hickory, pear, alder and probably a couple more but can't remember.
    ·
    Oak wine barrel staves, Apple, Cherry, Peach, Pear, Apricot, Plum and Hickory
    Where do you get the wine barrel staves?

·

Pecan and black cherry...home cut.

Hickory and apple...store bought.

I avoid mesquite wood and charcoal.

I use cherry on chicken/turkey. How is the black cherry different?

·
  • RzeancakRzeancak Posts: 151
    I have 3  Apple, Mystique, JD

apple is the best in my opinion
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,339
    Mesquite is my go to wood.   Recently picked up some peach, pecan, and apple
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • I've usually keep apple, pecan, JD and cherry. I want to try grape vines, I have a source, it's just getting time to go collect them.
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    All sore bought; mesquite (I never use), hickory, cherry, apple, pecan, alder. Mostly hips except hickory.
    ·
  • bboulierbboulier Posts: 302
    Home cut - cherry, oak, pear, and grapevine.  Store bought - hickory and apple.  I like to use grapevine with salmon.  Don't really like pear, so I reserve it for fire wood.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
    ·
  • NightwingXPNightwingXP Posts: 436
    I keep two bags each of hickory, apple and cherry on hand. I also keep one bag of mesquite and a partial of maple. Didn't really like the maple. Apple and cherry are my tried and trues. I like to 50/50 apple and hickory on ribs. Great flavor. Never used pecan. I just use chips.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,738
    hickory bark, pecan, mesquite, cherry, apple, grapevine, guava, maple, oak, rosemary. the pecan, mesquite, guava is bought, the rest is found around the house
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,407
    2 kinds of oak, hickory, apple, alder, cherry, sugar maple, pecan. Have had peach, plum, beech and pimento (allspice wood.) The pimento was almost like a perfume. Made the yard smell great, but I thought the aroma overpowered the taste of the food.
    ·
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,245
    I just ordered apple, peach, and cherry from Fuita..  Really looking forward to checking out their product...
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258
    Maple, apple, cherry, alder, JD barrel chips, hickory and Steven Raichlen's olive wood

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·