Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaver Recommendations?

MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends,

I need one to do the spatchcock turkey right...  Anyone have a recommendation?  

Thanks!
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141
    edited March 2012

You need a great pair of scissors, it's not a cleavor. 

Located in Western North Carolina
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I use shears. Much easier.  Here's a video of Fred performing the act.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/861.htm
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141

If you still want a clever, then I would look for a high stainless 6 to 7 inch. Made in Germany preferably Wustoff Trident or Hinkle. There are not much great cutlery made in the USA any more. I know it's a shame but it's true. I have a Trident 6"and it'll remove a finger if you mess up?

Located in Western North Carolina
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I make chicken stock from bones, so I need to cleave a chicken now and then.  It's not like filleting a fish, so I wouldn't spend much money on a cleaver.  Mine was about $5.00 + shipping.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Wally was cool, but the Beav was probably the best.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I want a cleaver!!!!

mrs boatbum loves brisket chopped fine ( go figure ).   Also, when pulling pork, I like to take the bark areas, chop them fine and mix in with the meat.

Keep forgetting when in a store - will probably get a Hinkle - thats most of our other knives.

Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Don't waste the money on the two twin henkel. It's just a cleaver after all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    I have an el cheapo "Old Hickory" brand. It sharpened well and has enough weight. And like they said above it is just a cleaver.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • MaskedMarvel
    I was using Fred's turkey video as a reference - 

Shears may work better for chickens?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2012
    I have a pair of long nose aviation snips for the kitchen. Wash them after use and spray Pam on them. Works great on turkey

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    edited March 2012
    I bought a Guy Fieri Cleaver.  Looks cool, chops well.  Go cheap if you must have one.  Oh yes, and I almost NEVER use it.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I just got one of these with a custom handle. This came sharp enough to shave my arm but it's not really a bone knife. CCK does make a bone cleaver also on this same site. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I use THIS for chicken and turkey. It is almost effortless. I tried the scissors from the same set but, the chef's knife just works better. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I can never buy Wustoff again after they sold out with Emeril Lagasse - yuk.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would only buy a German knife to demonstrate how sharp my Japanese knives are.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    hahahahahaha I wish there was a forum dedicated to bashing Emeril Lagasse. I'd totally sign up. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • IrishDevl
    Trav - There is a store around me that is loaded with Emeril Wustoff knives, made me sick.  And the blade was as good as a Kitchenaid knife - just dreadful, but the usual sucker will buy the Emeril brand because he says "Bamm" on TV, must know what he is talking about. Don't get me wrong, he has talent. But he, like many other "chefs", sold out years ago.  
  • MaskedMarvel
    I have a slammin' Asian market here that stocks all kinds of goodies.  I'll try them tomorrow.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited March 2012
    I use Kershaw kitchen shears. They are great for doing chickens. There is a notch at the top specifically made for cutting through bone. They also have a bottle opener on them. :-)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    hahahahahaha I wish there was a forum dedicated to bashing Emeril Lagasse. I'd totally sign up. 
    I'd like to see Emeril and Dr. Phil duke it out to near death.  No matter the outcome, I'd enjoy it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• troutgeek
    I either use poultry shears or a very sharp hunting knife. I need new shears. I have a crappy pair from Cabela's, and they're falling apart after 10 or so pheasants and a couple three chickens.
  • I am a woodworker, so I sharpen a lot.  DO NOT waste your money on high end knives.  The trick is keep it sharp.  Meaning don't let it get dull.  Most important do not put any knife in the dishwasher.  The high heat works against keeping the metal stable.  Hand wash and keep it sharp and save your money!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    global makes a kickass extra heavey cleaver, it will cut thru pretty much anything. not sure i would attack a turkey with it
    :))if dropped, it would take your foot off. i use a really big chef knife to spatchcock, just insert down the cacity and force it down and thru
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have one of the Kiwi cleavers mentioned above, and it has been useful. However, for cutting out backbones I use a pair of regular tin snips. The really hard tool steel goes right thru bones w/ no trouble, and once they had a patina and some mineral oil on them, no rust or corrosion.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I am a woodworker, so I sharpen a lot.  DO NOT waste your money on high end knives.  The trick is keep it sharp.  Meaning don't let it get dull.  Most important do not put any knife in the dishwasher.  The high heat works against keeping the metal stable.  Hand wash and keep it sharp and save your money!
    What I've seen from inexpensive knives shows a huge variation in the quality of steel. Many simply will not hold a decent edge. I do have a couple of Dexters and Old Chicagos that are servicable, but do require almost continuous steeling. A Dexter boning knife was what I used to break up the Christmas goose, and it did a great job. But it was my new holiday gift to self, a gyuto that holds about a 12 degree per side bevel, that cut the breast portions into paper thin slices.
  • IrishDevl
    Maybe just me, but I just don't care for cheap knives.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I bought Messermeister 8-1/2-Inch Take-Apart Utlility Shear
    about 4 years ago when Cooking Illistrated said a top buy. Use for spatchcock chicken and turkey. Work fine still. From Amazon a little over $20
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I either use poultry shears or a very sharp hunting knife. I need new shears. I have a crappy pair from Cabela's, and they're falling apart after 10 or so pheasants and a couple three chickens.
    Check out the Kershaw kitchen shears. They have a lifetime warranty. Kershaw customer service is awesome. I sent a knife back and they replaced it, no questions asked. My dad is a Snap-on dealer. He stocks the kershaw pocket knives and shears on his truck. He ordered the kitchen knives for me.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • troutgeek
    I'll definitely check out Kershaw and Messermeister soon. There's a Messermeister dealer in town. I checked out their knives, and liked the Wustoff Ikon's better.
  • I use something like these and really like so far. Got them at Walmart.

Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE