Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive New Big Joe

Options

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Ty whiz. I would love to see the BGE come to the coast of NC, SC, VA for some seafood and eastern NC BBQ!!!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Damn That thing is huge!!

"Thats What She Said" Michael Scott

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39
    Options

The USA (Primo), Mexico (BGE) and China (KJ) ceramics is an interesting one and I don't pretend to know the answer.  I struggle to see how it makes a difference to my health, but I could be wrong.  I am not an expert on these things and don't pretend to really know the answer.  One thing I did find interesting, though, is that I got a Big Green Egg brand paella pan for Christmas.  It says right on it "Made in China." 

So I'm wondering why if it is supposedly possibly dangerous to eat food that simply sits inside but does not touch a ceramic cooker made in China, it would not also be possibly dangerous to eat food that actually comes in contact with a metal paella pan that was made in China? 

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

@Volfo

I'm not saying I know for fact it is dangerous and that there have been out breaks of cancer or whatever that were caused by folks cooking on the KJ.  And your right, it could be dangerous to eat food that came into contact with any type of metal pan made in China. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    It's pretty powerful, floating out the whole "i don't know anything about X, but it could be dangerous" phrase. There are so many myths and baseless warnings here already. I wouldnt be surprised to read in a few weeks someone saying "well, i read somewhere that the such-n-such ceramics have asbestoes in them. "
    Hahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    I would love to see an Eggfest in NC,preferably coastal as WS is 4 hours away and my sister-in-law lives there but would make the drive if that were the location. Shellfish on the BGE are fantastic.Have had several oyster and clam roasts with the critters caught the same day,bushel of oysters $38, unbeatable flavor,pretty quick to roast (4-6 mins) and everybody wants to "help", (beer is not optional but a must).
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Stike, that's my favorite pasttime, identifying hoaxes on FB. Occasionally the answer is, good to know, thanks.  But usually it's "I don't care if it isn't true, it's good to know and we can't be too careful."  Sigh.

I think I have a copy of the letter from Harbison Walker saying that such-n-such ceramics don't have asbestos, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options

So I'm wondering why if it is supposedly possibly dangerous to eat food that simply sits inside but does not touch a ceramic cooker made in China, it would not also be possibly dangerous to eat food that actually comes in contact with a metal paella pan that was made in China? 

Regarding the 1st statement, Chinese dry wall doesn't come in contact with people (for the most part), and they got sick.  Regarding the 2nd statement.... maybe?! 
    There are so many myths and baseless warnings here already.
    Poisons that were deliberately placed in baby formula that made thousands of infants sick (and some died or were permanently damaged).
    Fake baby formula that turned out to be white powder with no nutritional value, causing thousands of infants to starve.
    Poisons placed in toothpaste that were imported to the US.
    Poisons placed in porcelain dental crowns imported to the US.
    Poisons in toys and jewelry that had to be pulled from Walmart shelves.

I think that track record alone makes me nervous about buying certain products from China (e.g. those that can end up in the mouth, food, lungs, etc).
  • walleyv
    Options

The bottom line is no one really knows exactly what the ingredients are of products made in China as was the case with Chinese drywall when folks began importing it in 2000. 

http://www.chinesedrywall.com/

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    @walleyv  Thanks for the link.  Very interesting.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    In spite of the links above, I've decided to assume that Kamado Joe does not manufacture poisonous ceramic cookers. 
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
  • walleyv
    Options

Lets hope those aren't famous last words.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Well, FWIW, I'm still here after about 7 months.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    thanks for your warnings, guys.  i now will no longer purchase ANY chinese product because, although i know absolutely nothing now whether anything truly IS dangerous, the fact that some drywall was an issue a few years ago makes me convinced there's a chance you might be right. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options
    Well, FWIW, I'm still here after about 7 months.
    The BGE ceramic contains the antidote.
  • walleyv
    Options

Naked Whiz I hope you hang in there for a long time to come.  I love your web site along with all the great info and tips that come with it.  Everytime someone buys a BGE from me I make sure they know about your site.

Stike the drywall issue was, still is, and will continue to be a major issue for the end users and the supply chain.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I just want to thank Hillbilly-Hightech for the use of capital letters in (nearly) all his/her posts.  The way you do that is GENIUS, nobody, I mean NOBODY would be able to get the POINT without it.  Take a bow good SIR!
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    I would love to see an Eggfest in NC,preferably coastal as WS is 4 hours away and my sister-in-law lives there but would make the drive if that were the location. Shellfish on the BGE are fantastic.Have had several oyster and clam roasts with the critters caught the same day,bushel of oysters $38, unbeatable flavor,pretty quick to roast (4-6 mins) and everybody wants to "help", (beer is not optional but a must).
    We had an eggtoberfest in Virginia Beach in October last year. I'll add a posting in the fall with the details. All you costal NC boys are welcome to attend.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    TNW-
    I am in Winston-Salem and would love to know more about the Eggfest here. I know about 5 guys, other than myself, that have Eggs and would definitely attend if they were aware of it. Could you post a link to that website? Thanks.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    We had an eggtoberfest in Virginia Beach in October last year. I'll add a posting in the fall with the details. All you costal NC boys are welcome to attend.
    Can't wait!!!! Hard to beat BBQ and fresh seafood cooked on the BGE.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

unfortunatley for all of you- the ceramic cooker isnt the issue.. it's the keyboards, phones and all the other electronic devices that you use on a daily basis that are made in china..  most of those wires have been dipped in radioactive chemicals that are slowing entering your blood stream.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Hi54Putty, let me start a thread for that.....

The Naked Whiz
  • hogsfan
    edited March 2012
    Options
    In spite of the links above, I've decided to assume that Kamado Joe does not manufacture poisonous ceramic cookers. 

Lets hope those aren't famous last words.

If those turn out to be my last words, you have to promise to make sure those words are printed on my tombstone. If I have to die, I at least want to give folks a chuckle on the way out.  lol
  • mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141
    Options
    That's the MOAB of Kamado's, I'll guess it's made in Texas? :-*
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Not to bash anybody, but I'm curious about the statement that the BGE ceramics are better than the KJ ceramics.  In what way?  Again, just curious.
    Whiz I saw your review on the KJ and I appreciated your review in the end. With the economy the way it is I think that in some cases people would definately save a buck if they could. Hell I'm ashamed to think of what I would do for $50
    :P
    That being said I think even though this is a BGE forum if there are people on here (as long as they are not bashing) that have and like their KJ then spirited conversation is great. More power to them. I just really love kamado style cooking and really appreciate the feedback and posts that I get to spend my free time reading here. Thanks everyone!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • hogsfan
    edited March 2012
    Options
    If BGE is smart, they would want these comparisons on their forum...especially the one's that say "I like (insert other brand) better because (insert reason)"

If a manufacturer is losing sales from previous customers to another brand and that person is willing to tell them EXACTLY why, that information is unbelievably valuable to BGE or ANY manufacturer. They should solicit and encourage that information as the future success/failure of the company ultimately rides on knowing exactly what customer's are looking for.

For example, I would be willing to bet that had BGE come out with a oval shaped cooker instead of one of the 5 sizes that exist now, there would be no Primo Grill company. I think every other kamado brand that exists does so because there was a market for something that BGE didn't see or didn't adapt to meet. It's their right NOT to know (or just not to respond), but it left the door open...

I guess I'm just saying I'd want to know why people bought other cookers while the competition is still relatively small. 
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options

I guess I'm just saying I'd want to know why people bought other cookers while the competition is still relatively small. 
    True.  I'm in the process of building a data mart to accomplish this exact issue.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    Is there any Egg feasts north of DC.
  • walleyv
    Options

hogsfan

I will do my best to make sure those words are on your tombstone but lets hope that is no time soon.  By the way I was pulling for the Hogs big time last year when they played the Crimson Terd.