Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket

Options
gdawgs24
gdawgs24 Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
new to the egg community. first time i cooked on the egg i used the electric charcoal starter and it has this nice little clip on it. i thought well this might fit good on the side of the egg to allow for cooling so no one could touch it. WRONG ANSWER IDIOT!!!!!. needless to say i burnt 2 small holes in my bottom seal. does anyone have any reccomendations on a new seal and where to get it from

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not a problem. That seal/gasket will fall off soon anyway. Sorry. Have 3 eggs and no gaskets. You will find it split here as to who has  and who has no gaskets.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

Call BGE and tell them you burnt your gasket.  I fried mine on my first pizza cook, bad setup and rookie mistakes.  They will send you a high temp gasket. It is fairly easy to replace.

George

George
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

You can likely get a free replacement nomex from the Mothership.  That said, many replace the inevitable gasket failure with Rutland and if you choose to go "commando" then should you do lots of low&slow-run the "dollar bill" test to make sure you have a good dome to base fit.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I burnt my gasket a couple of years ago on my first pizza.  I didn't replace it until recently because the Egg seemed to function just as well without it.  

I don't do much low and slow, so keeping a temperature to a degree or two is usually not a problem with me.  However, in my (next to last) brisket cook, I could not keep the temp down.  It kept creeping up, even when I closed both bottom and top vents.

I installed a nomex gasket, and my next brisket was spot on for 18 hours, not varying the temp more than 1 degree.

That said, I haven't done a pizza since replacing the gasket, so this may be temporary.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious