Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying an egg in a couple days....advice.

2»

Comments

• Good choice on the large. "Size matters". I have a large but may add a mini after watching Mickey's video. That was awesome! Have fun, post pictures, eat well!

Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • went yesterday and picked up the large...had it all put together in about an hour...cooked on it for the first time yesterday and LOVE IT!!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Our first purchase was a large then a small and then a mini. There is just the two of us and we use the small and mini for most of our cooks and the large when we have company over. If i had a do over I would probably buy the eggs in the same order. Good luck with you purchase today and post pictures of your first cook.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39

The Egg is awesome, I think you are making the right choice with the large. 

My biggest piece of advice is to calibrate the thermometer when you get it before you ever cook.  No one told me to do that and I had a lot of frustrations before I found this forum and even knew that was a possibility. 

Second piece of advice is to tell you that they suggest that you cook at or below 400 for the first several cooks to help protect the gasket, and that if you ever do really hot temps with the platesetter in (like pizza), you should keep the legs up on the platesetter to avoid diffusing the heat right at gasket level. 

Third piece of advice is that at some point you will enjoy getting an instant read meat thermometer like the thermopen, to keep you from over or undercooking smaller pieces of meat, and some sort of temperature probe thermometer with an external display like the maverick 732 so you know when to take those boston butts / briskets off.  But those things can wait a bit.  JUST MAKE SURE YOU CALIBRATE YOUR THERMOMETER - takes 5-10 minutes and my thermometer was off almost 100 degrees.