Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying an egg in a couple days....advice.

Options
fallingcomet
fallingcomet Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone. My name is Robert and I am purchasing my first big green egg on Wednesday. I am so excited I feel like a kid at Christmas time. I will be heading to my local dealer as soon as they open on Wednesday morning but I do need one piece of advice before I head there. I currently have a pretty good size smoker that I am going to be getting rid of because it is too big for my wife and I to use on a normal basis. In my house it is just my wife and I and we do entertain small groups from time to time, but for the most part it will just be my wife and I using it. My question is I keep on going back and forth between whether or not I should get a medium or a large egg. The lesson I learned from my current smoker is that bigger does not always mean better. But I wanted to get current owners opinions on this before I made my purchase. Thoughts?

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Large.....chances are you will appreciate the bigger space on the large compared to medium and there seems to be a lot more accessories available for the large.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    You will be glad you have the extra room of the LG but, I cant think of any advantages of the MED other than cost. I have an XL and I would pick the LG over the MED. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Oh yea. Not as many accessories for the MED
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Get the large and the medium.  That way it will save you a trip back to the dealer. :D  Really though, I would go with the large over the medium due to what Travis mentioned about aftermarket accessories.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • mustgrill
    Options
    We have a similar thing, I have a Horizon offset patio that I put in my garage just in case I might need it again. It's just me and my wife and do have BBQ's from time to time. I have only had my BGE a month this week. I got the large and I am glad I did. It's only 255 InSq  compared to the horzion which is 1728 InSq. IMHO I am glad I got the lg bge. It cooks beyond anything thing I was told and thought. There is a learning curve but it'll come to you fast. Enjoy.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • stevesails
    Options

go large. 

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Yeah, to echo what the others are saying, go Large. I was having the same thoughts when I got mine but we ultimately decided on a large because we entertain a lot. My brother has the medium and it is just too small, and there are not really too many eggsessories for the medium. If you do a single rack of ribs and lay it on the grate as opposed to in a rack, it fills the whole diameter of the large. I would not go smaller. You will be glad you have the extra real estate.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BGE Convert
    Options
    I own an XL and it is just me and my GF (soon to be fiance').  The larger size does not impact my cooks and I love being able cook more at one time if I need to.  That being said, get the bigger size, hands down.  Things change and before you know it the two of you might be plus 1.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    It's just me and my wife at home also.  I have a large and glad I do.  I also have a medium, but never use it.  However, I have my eyes on a Mini for the many times I just want to grill a couple of steaks or chops.

I would get the large, and in about 6 months, get a mini also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    large and a raised rack from the ceramic grill store, check them out before buying a platesetter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options

Here's an experience I had.  I smoked two roasting chickens in my Large, using the vertical racks.  I could just barely get the lid down with careful adjustment so that the dome did not touch the chickens.  It is a peice of cake with the XL.

Get the biggest you can afford, or you will be like me and end up with two :-)

Actually two is pretty nice, you can smoke on one and cook on the other, or cook two foods that need different temperatures.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Large is a great size for what you describe.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Had a Large and a Small and after I got a Mini never used the Small. My vote for spending YOUR money is get the Large and you will get a second, get a Mini. Just the two of us in the family and use the Mini by far most of the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stevesails
    Options

mickey,  I have been eyeing the small or the mini, just for the small stuff, instead of the XL.   I may just go for the mini now that you have said that.  I have seen the pics, but can you really cook a splatched chicken on that? or a single pork tenderloin?

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I have a medium.  I've maximized the space pretty well.  Among some of the larger items I've cooked are 2 butts, a pretty big Prime Rib that served 10, and 3 racks of ribs.  It will also cook a 15+ lbs turkey. 

That being said; you should definitely get the biggest one you can afford.  I'll be getting an XL as soon as I agree to have a kid. Thats the bribe anyway. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    I would go with a large just because you occasionally entertain groups.  The medium is good for just a few people, but you will most likely run into space problems trying to cook for groups of more than 4 or 5.
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I have a large and love it. It is just the two of us, with the odd guest line up. Loving the meals that come out of the egg..I am sure you will to. There will be some questions that will a-raise, post it and there are a lot of people here that will offer suggestions. BTW welcome to the forum.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Dfrost
    Dfrost Posts: 13
    Options
    Get the large. I have both the medium and a large and the bigger egg still sees the most grill time. It is nice having two though. Direct cook on one while the other is smoking away.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2012
    Options

mickey,  I have been eyeing the small or the mini, just for the small stuff, instead of the XL.   I may just go for the mini now that you have said that.  I have seen the pics, but can you really cook a splatched chicken on that? or a single pork tenderloin?

This is a chicken (not a game hen) and it is bigger than a pork tenderloin. and take a look at this second movie on Mini's . I sold my small and ordered a second Mini. I am using a Mini Woo to get the height.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MeAndTheDog
    Options
    I picked up a Large egg Friday, just the two of us also. To be honest not as much room here as I thought it should have. I will not have any problems with the size, but I toyed with the med or large also glad that I went large. I was going to buy the med. Then buy a small later.
    Conway, S.C.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Large. More options for accessories and for fitting meat on. A full packer brisket barely fits on my large.
    Cookin in Texas
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I say Large, too.  What's the saying... Go big or go home!  ;)   
    As the others mentioned you'll appreciate the space.  Welcome! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • daveyray72
    Options
    I was the lucky recipient of a hand me down small egg...after $150 into the thing to rehab it, I am now saving up and will not setting for smaller than a large, and think an XL is the way to go.  From experience with other smokers, bigger IS better.

Just like computers...buy the best/largest you can afford at the time of purchase.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    IMO my XL is perfect even for just the wife and I. Been cooking for along time and do full meals on it. The learning curve on times for meats and veggies. I have not cooked in my kitchen since we got the XL in November. I also cook meat for my neighbors. They bring the meat and pick it up when its done. I think I'm NUTZ!!!!!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited February 2012
    Options

make sure they drop off a bottle of your favorite once in a while.

and that is why i love my XL also.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Flamethrower
    Options
    2 Spatchcocked chicken on my XL with enough room for other things
    LET'S EAT
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Another thing to consider is the availability of accessories for the model you are looking at.  I haven't looked at current offerings, but it use to be that the Large BGE had the most number of accessories available.

That may have changed.  Or not.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Go large, at least. I have an XL which is overkill for normal family grilling, but for a big party, I have tons of room. Haven't even used my raised grid yet and I cooked for 15 on Sunday.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • fallingcomet
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!!! It sounds pretty much like I am going to need to get the Large.  I will be going today to get it!!! thank you all again! I am buying the egg nest and a plate setter as well.  Is there any other essential eggcessories that I will need to buy right off the bat?
  • MeAndTheDog
    Options
    MEAT!
    Conway, S.C.