Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Awesome recipe

lrkay19
lrkay19 Posts: 15
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing a family egg cook off need a appitizer and a meat
That will blow familys socks off. First thoughts were
Wings and a pork loin. Any other ideas.

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I have a awesome jalapeño popper dip for an appetizer if you are interested. Just let me know and I'll send it to you
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    We have shrimp alot, here's what we do. Marinate the 21-25 count size peeled and deveined, tails on shrimp from Costco, in 1/4 cup EVOO, along with 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1 tsp. granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper. Mix this all together, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Skewer on pre soaked skewers and cook at 325-350 for approximately 2 minutes a side, until opaque in color. Nice little kick from the peppers.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • lrkay19
    lrkay19 Posts: 15
    Sounds great guys thanks.I Think i will do both and pull
    Wings
  • Appetizer(s):
    1.) Moink Balls: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1118566#Comment_1118566
    2.) ABTs: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137344
    3) Drago's-Style Chargrilled Oysters: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1150195#Comment_1150195

(there are MANY variations to #1 & #2 listed above - do a more thorough search & you should find MANY different variations you can try, or use ingredients that you know you & your family will like & modify it for you!!)

Meat:
    1.) Personally, my favorite (and best) cooks so far have either been a combo hot tubbed / Trex steak w/ DP's Raising the Steaks or Cowlick rub (depending on whether you want a Montreal Style or not), or the recent pork spare ribs I just did.

Best of luck, and take lots of pics!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Want details on this?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mike8it
    Yes I do!!! Looks like a nice cook
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Jalapenos, chillies, and cubanellas.  You need a pepper rack.  Core and remove the pulp and seeds.  Stuff with pepperoni and grocery store "Mexican cheese" mix.  I top off with a funnel made with the pepperoni and a cap of cheese.  I lock the cap in with a tooth pick.  For the Cubanellas you can use a wedge of Jack.  Chorizo is also good to use.  Use indirect heat and cook at 300 or less for about 25 minutes.  You can also wrap in bacon, but that increases the cook time.  They come out hot, and have juices inside so be careful.  The jalapenos are the hottest, but they all can be spicy and it varies from pepper to pepper.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mike8it
    I will be doing this soon, thanks Doc!!!