Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive New Big Joe

Options

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited February 2012
    Options

XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited February 2012
    Options

What did I say that was not logical, unsubstantiated, was overly emotional, or made up? 

You see size comparisons and real life experiences as "bashing" the egg. It's not bashing. It's a tape measure. It's factual. Not emotional.  Then you go on to call the KJ "vultures" and site a rule that says "do not bash us or our competitors" as some sort of justification.  That doesn't make sense. 

I will respond to Hogsfan since he responded to me w/ another question, then I will refrain from pounding my head against the wall by commenting any further on this...

Anyway, you had suggested that it was ONLY the "size comparisons" that were at issue, and I gave TWO (2)... count them: ONE, TWO examples where folks had stated that they preferred the KJ over the Egg for issues OTHER than size. So CLEARLY this thread is NOT just about factually stating the dimensional specs of the 2 products. When you are on a forum for a SPECIFIC product and you start touting a COMPETING product as being "better" or "preferred" for whatever reason, then that is considered disrespectful.

The BGE folks are ALLOWING you to be here, they are GIVING us a place where we can share tips & tricks & recipes, and become better Eggers.

To then come on here & say "I like the KJ better than the Egg because XXX" is a slap in the face to BGE - that would be like if someone invites you over to their new home that they had spent a LOT of time, effort, and money buying, and you walk in, take a look around, and exclaim "hmmmm, not too shabby - but if you wanna see a REALLY nice house, you need to check out the one down the street!!!"

For those of you who cannot understand this, I would expect you to actually say something like that if you are indeed ever invited into someone's new home.

As far as my statement about you "making things up" and being "overly emotional" - that was in regards to your statement you made about there being "unwritten" rules & then making the sarcastic comment "Just so I know, what else are we not supposed to talk about?" ------ That's why I put my response in the SAME paragraph where I had stated that there actually ARE written rules. So your statement that there are "unwritten" rules is, by definition, MADE UP, and your statement about what else you're not supposed to talk about was an overly emotional, flippant attempt at sarcasm.

Finally, regarding my comments re: vultures. There are a few basic ways that business can be conducted:

1.) Come up w/ a product of its OWN design, which stands on its OWN merits & gain its OWN customers through the fact that you have a superior product

.....ORRRRRRRRRRRR....

2.) leverage someone else's work, research, effort, time, money, advertising, reputation, customer base, design, accessories, support, enthusiasm, etc and make a copy of that product in an attempt to siphon their existing customers away.

I will TRY to provide a couple more examples in the futile hope that those of you who don't "get it" might actually understand it this time...

The first example would be making a burger joint called "McDonnells" and having "golden arcs" and a "Big Mik" and a jester (instead of a clown) named "Robin McDonnel"...

Another example would be if you ran a pizza shop & I followed your vehicle to where you delivered your pizza, and right before you got to the door I ran up w/ my own pizza that I then tried to sell to the customer for ~10% cheaper than yours, in the hopes that I could undercut you & siphon your customers away.

By definition, choosing to do business in this sense (#2) is "vulture capitalism"

thank you, and good night!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Yeah, I dunno,.. The Green Egg is built and manufactured in Mexico, I recently read about American manufacturers experiencing problems with the quality of concrete prefabbed blocks coming out of Mexico. Makes me wonder if the Green Egg is really safe.. hmmm... just sayn'....
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    Of all the American block manufactures I know of.....their blocks are "manufactured" in America not Mexico. I'm not saying an American block company is not in Mexico making blocks. I'm just saying I've not heard of what you are talking about.
    With that being said, as for now, there are no reports of any products coming out of Mexico that compares to the problems with drywall made in China. I do not know of any Mexican products that are responsible for corroding cooper wiring in homes and causing extremely high levels of formaldehyde......just sayn
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    McDowell's. Wasn't that the burger joint in Coming to America with Eddie Murphey and Arsenio Hall? Just trying to lighten the mood a bit. I knew this thread had legs!!!!!
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited March 2012
    Options
    BGE is hosting a website...they are not having us over for dinner. They use this site to build a customer base, brand loyalty, and leverage our brains and time to provide customer support and help sell eggs, and that's great...but it's not the same as criticizing someone's house at a dinner party (by the way, I still don't see anybody criticizing the egg...and I know I didn't).

My unwritten rule question was legitimate. I didn't "make it up" and I'm not "emotional."  If they asked us not to discuss other cookers, it would be a reasonable request, but as far as I know there is no written rule here that says you can't discuss other cookers. So if you are implying that etiquette (as opposed to a written rule) says we shouldn't discuss other cookers, then I would say it's an "unwritten rule"...because it's a "rule" that was not "written."  
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited March 2012
    Options
    FWIW, I've been on the original forum since 2001 and this forum since it opened, obviously.  The topic of comparison threads occasionally came up on the original forum and the as best as I can recall, the reason comparison threads were not allowed was because thy usually turned into p*ss*ing matches and had to be edited or deleted.  FWIW.

Obviously some folks have strong feelings about what they believe to be what BGE wants on this forum.  It would be nice if the moderators could read this thread and then post what they actually think should be allowed on this forum.  And if they wish to ban comparison threads, they should explicitly state so in the rules.  It is also obvious that there is a lot of desire here to discuss other cookers.  It's gonna happen unless it is stopped.  FWIW.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options
    A general note to everyone just to make sure things aren't misunderstood:

I don't think anyone ever said that other products couldn't be "discussed." As has been done NUMEROUS times, MANY different products are "discussed" (thermopens, ceramic grill store products, Maverick, pizza stones, Dizzy Pig & many other types of rubs, etc, etc, etc).

However, "discussing" is different than stating that you prefer the competition over the product who's forum you are on - that could be considered trolling, or bashing of the product.

As I said, if the admins wanna leave this up, more power to 'em. I agree w/ the Whiz, the mods should read this & let us know if they feel that saying the KJ is better than the Egg is acceptable or not.

However, just to put things into perspective as a comparison:

1.) Please, go to a Krav Maga dedicated forum (not a general Martial Arts forum) & start a thread where you say you prefer Tae Kwon Do over Krav Maga & see how far you get... please do that...

2.) Or as I suggested, go to a bar in Oakland & start a conversation about how you prefer the Broncos to the Raiders - please do that.

I think the folks who are saying they prefer the KJ to the Egg on the Egg's own forum are actually getting treated pretty nicely, considering what would happen if they'd attempt #1 or #2 above...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I think in reality though, you can't draw a line and expect people to stay behind it.  People have opinions and if you start discussing features, opinions are going to get expressed.  It's not disrespect of the other product, it's just an opinion.  Now, if the speaker rips off his shirt, exposes a tatoo on his chest of a competitor's product and says, "I can whip any man in this room", well now that's something else. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I think in reality though, you can't draw a line and expect people to stay behind it.  People have opinions and if you start discussing features, opinions are going to get expressed.  It's not disrespect of the other product, it's just an opinion.  Now, if the speaker rips off his shirt, exposes a tatoo on his chest of a competitor's product and says, "I can whip any man in this room", well now that's something else. 
    hahahahahaaha... well, I haven't shown you my BGE tattoo where I use my curly chest hair to represent the smoke rolling out the top (ack - I know, NOT a nice visual for me either)!!! hehe
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Options
    I don't get into karate..
    I hate the Raiders and the Broncos, but not as bad as Redskins and the Eagles..
    And I prefer the KJ heat deflector over the BGE platesetter...
  • Mike8it
    Options
    Hold on now. Don't hate my Raiders. =P~
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    FYI, CEMEX is a transnational cement Mexican company, that owns/holds most of the cement market in The Americas,  and Europe, also in India. They took a big hit with the recession and probably had to sell a lot of assets/holds. But so you USA guys know, in the last 5-7 years most of the concrete laid in your highways was manufactured by CEMEX. I happen to live about 5 minutes from the factory which is called Dal-Tile:
    Daltile's Frit and Glaze division offers a wide variety of unleaded frits and glazes for tile manufacturers, potters and general ceramic industry.Our plants are ISO-9001 certified

Daltile manufactures cordierite and alumina refractories offering a wide range of kiln furniture products. We are one of the largest producers in America with experience since 1975. We have the capability to press, extrude, cast and T-cast standard products and custom made designs to fit your needs.Our plants are ISO-9001 certified

A little more reading on breakthrough technology they use!

And i still don't have my Egg!!!! Agrrr!! :(

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • SandBilly
    Options
    Everyone hates my Cowboys, including me the past few years (:| But I don't get my feathers ruffled over it **==
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I see a bigger difference in the size of the base than I do in the dome.  Maybe its just my eyes.
  • Mike8it
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Get em Felipe. Can someone get this man a Big Green Egg please.
  • Mike8it
    Options
    @ sand billy. When everyone takes a step back and looks at it, it's just a football game and it's just a grill. There's a lot more to worry about in life and we are all fortunate to just enjoy it!!!!
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    I hope at least one of you guy`s is cooking and posting as we speak! :)

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • SandBilly
    edited March 2012
    Options
    @ Mike.My point exactly..
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

holy butthurt.

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    I see a bigger difference in the size of the base than I do in the dome.  Maybe its just my eyes.
    Me too.  I think the base is taller but the dome seems about the same...perhaps a different shape though.
  • walleyv
    Options

@Felipe

I just finished a fresh piece of salmon with asparagus and sweet potatoes.  Wish I could post some pics but it's all gone....sorry.

• walleyv
    Options
    Oh yea I forgot about the steamed brown rice.
  • Irrivirsible
    Options
    I can understand people being frustrated with others posting about competitors products the way they are. For the most part forums have people loyal to that product and when others come on and build up another product against theirs it is bound to start irritation.  At the same time there were other kamado style cookers before BGE so you could say that BGE stole their ideas from others and anyone after BGE did the same.   
  • Mike8it
    Options
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Lets just Cook,Eat,Drink and go shoot our guns and not at each other
    LET'S EAT
  • Mike8it
    Options
    Has there ever been an eggfest in NC?
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mike, yes there was one 2 years ago in Winston Salem.  THey planned one for last year, but it was on Mother's Day weekend and they just couldn't get the numbers, so they canceled.  They are trying again this year and have a Facebook page if you want to like or follow it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited March 2012
    Options

Some Chinese ceramics seem to last a lifetime...

I have not gone vertical in my XL, but there is a lot of room on this sucker.  I like cooking area on the main grate so if I were designing a bigger unit I'd bump the grate width to 27" - 28."  I guess they didn't go to larger on the grate to take advantage of aftermarket products for the XL.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.