Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kosher Beef Brisket

Options
Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have guests who have to have Kosher Beef, so I bought a 12 lb brisket. How long and at what temp do I smoke it?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jeff,
    first thing to do is wrap that puppy in lots of bacon to give it some extra flavor!!. . .[p]ok, just kidding. ..you can smoke it just like you do any other brisket. .. they are probably used to having traditional jewish brisket, which meeans they cook the beejeebers out of it in liquid until its mush. ..so whatever you do will knock their socks off!! . .. [p]i got raves at my jewish temple recently with a brisket that started on the egg and ended in liquid. . . (i smoked it for about 2 hours , the cooked it the rest of the way in red wine (about 2 more hours). ..so it had a pot roasted texture, but smoked flavor. .. .[p]but if you want to do a conventional lo and slo (250 dome temp, figure about 2 hours per pound), that would be ok too. . .i don't think there are any kosher issues with bbq rubs, or if you were to rub it with your own thing. ..although i think a simple salt and pepper treatment would be good, then serve it with horse radish (a jewish kitchen staple) on the side. .. i think you'll know their socks off. ..[p]hope this helps. ..good luck

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Coming from you Max, that first line had me ROFLMAO!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Jeff
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Yeah! Pork rules! I am really taking on a double challenge - my first beef brisket and Kosher, dried out, bled out leather at that! I am hoping the Egg is up to the challenge. Are you sure about the temp? The brisket is 12 lbs. I read a response to someone who asked about a 6 lb brisket and he was told to smoke it at 220 for 11-12 hours. Should I wrap it in foil at any point? Can I use hickory chunks or do they need to burn to white prior to smoking? How much hickory vs regular charcoal? Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions. But the pressure is on from my 15 Texas Jewish relatives!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jeff,
    the more i think about it, and given what your guests are probably expecting. ..i think i'd go the "5 hour" route. . .[p]smoke the brisket at 250 dome temp on grid over inverted plate setter. ..rubbed with sugar and your rub of choice. .after 2 hours, wrap the brisket tight in aluminum foil, let the egg temps go up to about 325 and put the wrapped brisket in there for about 3 hours. ..start checking internal temp after 2 hours, pull it when it hits 195 - 200 degrees. . . let it rest (still wrapped) for and hour or two before serving . ..reserve the juices that collect in the foil. ..they are great served with the brisket. .. and i guarantee that this brisket won't be dried out. . . [p]oh yea. ..no bacon!!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    always happy to amuse you my friend :)

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    The only thing I would add is to use a salt-free rub. Those kosher products are salty - too salty for my taste. We did a kosher lo-n-slo duck just to see the difference, and while it was tender and cooked perfectly, the excess salt was distracting. Enjoy!

• Jeff
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    So, for my 12 pounder that would be 24 hrs at 250? Do I wrap it in foil at any point? Use a cooler? Thanks

• Jeff
    Options
    Marvin,
    Oh yeah -- I almost forgot how much salt is used to Kosher the meat. Thanks - you saved the day

• Jeff
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Youre terrific. You can ignore my previous message about 24 hrs. Will the brisket be tender if only cooked for 5 hrs? Remeber it is 12 pounds. ALso, any tips on using the hickory chunks - do they just go on top of the coals when you put the meat on? And do I use a water bat under the inverter?

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    I am not Jewish and I am certainly no authority on any matters of this nature. Not by a long shot. However, the fact that you were wanting to cook a Kosher meal for your friends got my curiousity going. There are a ton of links out there that deal with the subject. I found the link I have listed here to be quite interesting. After reading several web pages I was wondering is it was even possible to cook ANYTHING "Kosher" in a BGE that had been used to cook non-Kosher foods in the past?[p]Perhaps one of our Jewish friends here could shed some light on the subject. I know I would certainly like to know what the facts are in case I am ever in this situation.

[ul][li]http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    If your friends are willing to eat at your house, they probably aren't too worried about the level of Kashrut, they just prefer to eat Kosher meat. If you really want to Kasher your egg, you would just need to bring it up to a very high temperature to burn off any non-kosher food particles. Also, make sure you don't use any dairy products in cooking your meal.[p]After that, just follow big brother's instructions for cooking.

• Jeff
    Options
    mad max's little sister,
    Thanks. I plan on heating it up to 1000 deg ahead of time and eat on paper plates. I guess Ill just have salad and fruit as sides. Any other ideas for sides that can go with BBQ and are kosher? Can I use the microwave to cook or heat things up? They are particular by the way. This is the first time she has let me cook for her (my sister).

• Jeff
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    Max's little sister tells me that I just have to heat the egg up to 750-1000 degrees ahead of time. Tha makes it Kosher to cook in. Now the trick is getting sides to go along. I palnn on throwing in a fes artichokes the last hour, some slald and fruit. Ill look at you web site to see if slaw or beans can go along. Thanks

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Jeff,
    Alrighty then![p]Sounds like a feast in the making. Be sure to keep us posted along the way. Pics would be great, as well.[p]Good eating to all![p]:)

• Unknown
    Options
    Jeff ,
    I'm not sure how to Kasher a microwave-I would ask your sister what she would accept. Salads and fruit are always good. Since you can bake on the egg, you could always pick up one of the cake mixes that comes with its own pan-the ones where you mix and bake all in the same dish. Usually all you would have to do is add an egg, water, or oil. Just check the ingredients list on the box, or look for the U in the circle with the word "parve" which would make it ok to eat with meat.[p]If you want a starch, a good, hearty bread would be good-again just check the ingredient list and look for the kosher symbol.[p]Enjoy your dinner.
    little sister

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jeff,
    just be careful when buying baked beans. ..i made a batch up for my temple one time. ..accidently used the kind that have the chunks of bacon in them for seasoning.. . .remembered at the last minute. . .went into the temple kitchen (where things were being kept warm in the oven) and went through the beans, pulling out those chuncks of bacon.... close call...no one knew the better, and i didn't get smitten by a big bolt of lightening. . . .[p]glad my little sister was lurking and weighed in. ..she's a lot more up to speed on these matters of religion than i am . . .