Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive New Big Joe

Charcoal_Addict
Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
The new Kamado Big Joe is just massive. It dwarfs the XL. The lid is nearly twice the height the the Lid on the XL. Do you think BGE is going to revise the XL egg in response?
2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Pics? or to big to fit on screen?  I can't find anything
  • I was talking dealer the other day he said there is a bge coming that is bigger than the Xl. And not the one they take to shows.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• IrishDevl
    I don't know if I see the point to this, I never heard anyone complain about the XL being to small.  Now if the 2XL can cook a full pig, well???
  • Anybody know the grid diameter?  I have a Large BGE.  I do legs of lamb on a Brinkman offset and a super-max egg might just do the job.  I see a battle of ceramic grills coming.  Bring it on!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Big Joe is 24 as well
  • The dome of the Big Joe height changed a bit since the last update on the site. I'm not sure about the measurements on the site.

This is not about picking on the Egg. Competition is good and it forces innovations that benefit everyone.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Wow that thing look familiar.... 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    That's actually pretty cool
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

My large KJ isn't a better or worse tool than a BGE, but I bought it on discount from a dealer who's never cooked on them (no suport)

He's not bringing more in (no support), no one else around here sells the brand (no support)  and KJ didn't answer either of the questions I've emailed them nor did they acknowledge when I registered it online (no support). 

So there was a cost attached to my discount - as there often is I guess.

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    That ODD because i own a KJ and email them for issue and a couple minute after sending the email I got a phone from the actual owner of KJ and the issue was resolved! Now thats customer service. I had issue with BGE and had to fight to get parts and it touk me 6 week to recive the part for my large BGE! Hummm!!! Both of theses are excellent cookers but me personally I like the KJ better and find to have a way better customer service with them! 

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • IrishDevl
    Mike - How much did you get it for?
  • FWIW, KJ is going to be carried by ACE Hardware soon which should be a better option than some of the new tiny dealers who perhaps don't know what they are doing.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The KJ being carried by Ace is causing some pain by those Ace stores who already carry eggs. That and apparently BGE is forcing dealers to order everything in order to maintain a certain status. Which doesn't bode well when the owner knows what sits on the shelves and what product moves. KJ is now being added to the local Ace distribution centers (along with Wicked Good Weekend Warrior), making KJ far more attractive to the dealer. I hope my dealer keeps the egg, but I won't blame him for moving to KJ.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    I'm an Ace dealer and as far me there is no way I will be adding the KJ.  We do rerally good with BGE.  The only thing I might add would be the Wicked Good if my dist. center puts it in.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    As for the OP's comment that the KJ "dwarfs" the XL BGE.  They look the same to me.  Where is the big size difference?
  • walleyv

As far as I can tell the XL BGE and the Big Joe are about the same size and weight and it looks like the specs listed above include the wings and the nest for Big Joe.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

walleyv

Call the dept. 8 buyer in Oakbrook and ask when #8322786 will be in your distr. center.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39
    I have both the KJ and the L BGE.  I like them both.  I have had what I would consider excellent customer service from both companies and find the report about KJ ignoring requests hard to believe considering I have contacted them twice and they were great and fast both times.  In any event, they are both excellent products and frankly, they are almost exactly the same.  If I had to pick only one, price not  an issue, I guess I'd slightly favor the KJ because I've had so many problems with my gasket on my BGE and getting the dome aligned just right.  Maybe they didn't do it perfect at the dealer, I don't know, I just know I have problems with it and unlike some on here, my BGE won't hold temps for low and slow without a good gasket on it.  I think the KJ is exactly what they say it is - a BGE owner loved it and decided to make his own and tried to improve it just a touch.  At the same time, there are a couple of things I do actually like better about the BGE - the ash screen being one and the ceramic cap in addition to the daisy wheel the other.  It is really almost like asking would you rather have 6 donuts or half a dozen.
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited February 2012
    The design of the Big Joe was revised so I think the specs on the site might not be correct at this time. The dome height is increased significantly. Pics of the Big Joe vs. XL Egg can be found on the Big Joe Facebook page clearly showing just how much more room the new Big Joe has vs. XL Egg. It's not a small difference if you're smoking several large items for a party.

Add a superior gasket design, better cooking grid, larger fire box, thicker ceramic, red and black colors, better hardware, fully assembled, lid and body ground down to perfect fit, to the list as well.
  • walleyv
    The arrival date for 22lb WG in my dist. center is 3-12.  The retail is going to be $19.99.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

walleyv

What distr. center are you serviced by, ours is Rocklin, Ca.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    The design of the Big Joe was revised so I think the specs on the site might not be correct at this time. The dome height is increased significantly. Pics of the Big Joe vs. XL Egg can be found on the Big Joe Facebook page clearly showing just how much more room the new Big Joe has vs. XL Egg. It's not a small difference if you're smoking several large items for a party...
    How much more dome space is there?

• walleyv

billyray

Our dist. center is in Loxley, AL

• EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    edited February 2012
    I went to the Kamado Joe Facebook to see the the pics of the Big Joe that Charcoal Addict mentioned above, and that thing is just massive. It seems to dwarf the XL egg. Looks awesome. I also saw this pic of a guy by it. Just HUGE!
    imageimageimageimage
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    ...At the same time, there are a couple of things I do actually like better about the BGE - the ash screen being one and the ceramic cap in addition to the daisy wheel the other.  ...
    I was told that the Big Joe would have an ash screen. Is that not true?
  • IrishDevl
    Wow, impressive looking.  You are not kidding, it is huge.  
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    I dont know how to quote hogsfans question, but according to the link that Tweev_tip shared, it says that they will have a ash screen.
  • How much$$$$$ for that behemoth?
    LET'S EAT
  • Yes, the Big joe has an ash screen, and I hear the classic Joes will get one too.
    The Naked Whiz