Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow... That's hot

Options
tgkleman
tgkleman Posts: 216
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, I get home from work and decide on pizza for dinner.  My son and I go out on the deck and top off the fire ring with some Royal Oak and I let him light it up.  I turn on the eggcelerator and go inside to prepare the pizza with my daughter.  After preparing the first pizza, I go back outside and check on the BGE which is nicely up to 600 F.  I leave the vents wide open based on some advice to cook pizza at 700F +.  I take out the eggcelerator (which has done it's job nicely) and go back inside to prepare next pizza.  As daughter and I are preparing pizza, I glance out the window at the BGE and see blue flames shooting out the top (about a foot) of the BGE.  Wow, I think, that has never happened before.  I check the thermometer, and it has gone completely around and reads 200F, which i estimate based on the calibration that it is 900 F.  I have read posts on this but never really believed you could get the BGE that hot.  I also learned how gaskets get fried.  As I was opening the lid to put on the pizza,  the flames would be in direct contact with the gasket on the lid until i opened it all the way.  Opening and closing the lid twice for each pizza, the top gasket is completely fried.

This is the first time have used royal oak for pizza, I am not sure if it was the brand of lump, the eggcelerator, or if the planets were aligned... but i am a believer now when people talk about 1000F temps in the BGE.

Pizza was awesome.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Yes, my wife wants to use it as a kiln for making pottery.  I told her that blasphemy is not allowed in our house.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Although I have done that without a forced air system, the eggcelerator probably helped. Egger fishlessman pushed one of his Eggs to 1100 for pizza. I believe he said the pizza took about 60 seconds. Scary hot.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Yes, my wife wants to use it as a kiln for making pottery.  I told her that blasphemy is not allowed in our house.
    ^^ L. O. L. 

@tgkleman -- Glad your pizza was awesome!  I cook mine with the BGE cranked, too. Love it! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I've had my medium over 1200 without the use of any performance enhancing devices, FWIW
    The Naked Whiz
  • tgkleman
    Options
    I use the eggcelerator to get it going quickly.  I pull it off when the fire gets going.  It jumped to 900F (from 600) on it's own. 
  • gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Options
    This is not a pizza question, but since you all are discussing hot fires, I thought you all could help me out. Being new to the BGE, if I get it really hot (unintentionally) like 700-900 but I actually want it at 225-250 what are the methods achieving this.  I've heard opening it just adds more air and gets it even hotter.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    shut the vents.  and do NOT let it get above your desired temp for any decent length of time. just after starting, you should put the daisy on, or shut the lower vent half way, if you don't want to get distracted and let the egg get too hot if you step away.

fwiw, you can set the vents right away for your desired temp, and the egg will stop there.  it doesn't get to your desired temp much faster if the vents are wide open than it does if they are preset.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tgkleman
    Options
    I have always lit the egg with the  vents wide open; and waited  until about 50 or so degrees below my desired temp before i shut the vents to what I think is the right amount.  I haven't tried lighting it with the vents already set.  It sounds counter-intuitive that the egg would heat up just as quickly with the restricted air-flow, but I am going to give it a try.  Does this work for the low end temp range as well, like 250?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yeah, works for the low end range as well as mid temps.  for the upper range, i don't bother with the daisy anyway, since i'm headed north.

if you put the daisy on, or choke the vents, before your wax cubes are burnt away, it can causethem to snuff out and smolder.  but for most other ways ofstarting, it doesn't hurt the time to temp.  think of it this way: the egg is held at a certain temp because it can't draw any more air into the egg because the draft is limited (held back), and so the fire can't grow.  it has maxed out the draft.  well, if the fire is BELOW your desired temp, it isn't drafting at its max and isn't limited to begin with.  so it grows as fast as it would, up until the point when the vents interfere.  and they interfere when you've reached the desired temp.

for the most part.

in reality, it's more about setting the vent and going inside to prep.  you'll never again come out and find the egg at 750 when you wanted 300
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Wide open till about 50-100 degrees from your tarfet temp. and start closing down to where your known temps are. As for 900 to get down to 250 is gonna take quit awhile
    LET'S EAT
  • Flamethrower
    Options

fat fingers

LET'S EAT