Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Duck La Orange

mustgrill
mustgrill Posts: 141
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

If a picture is worth a 1000 words? Then a video must be worth times 10. Smoked a whole duck stuffed with aromatics and some peeled oranges glazed with a wonderful sauce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTnKdPTpsN8

Located in Western North Carolina

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Very entertaining and informative, thank you!
    A six-pound duck!  Can't get them that large here...
    My basting sauce is similar to yours, I just use half honey and half orange marmalade (want to try adding some soy sauce to it next time).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• looks amazing....i know what i'm doing next weekend!
  • Make sure you remove all the giblets inside. Liver, heart, neck and sometimes gizzard.
  • MustGrill,

That looks outstanding! Did you use any wood chunks or chips or just the smoke from the lump?

I can't wait to try this!

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Cool!  Well done!
    RMFT LBGE
  • I do duck on an adjustable grid.  Duck on oval grid and drip pan beneath. I noticed slits in the skin, great for letting out the fat.  I suck up the fat with a glass baster and save it for Pommes de Terre Sarladaise which is fancy-dancy French for potatoes in duck fat.  I'll try stuffing the next one the way you did.  Looks great!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I used apple chips about 3 cups total. I posted a video on youtube. Look at the first post for the link.

• I used apple chips about 3 cups total. I posted a video on youtube. Look at the first post for the link.

Thanks. I watched the video and must've missed it. I can't wait to try it. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Looks good! 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    MustGrill,

I gave it a go today and it was a big hit. I think I cooked it a bit low on the temp (around 300). I just didn't want it to get away from me. The glaze is outstanding. Thanks for the recipe.