Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork juice

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have seen some people add a liquid concoction to pulled pork immediately after it is pulled. Is this necessary? My daughters first birthday party is this weekend and I am cooking for 30 people I want the pork to be perfect. I have done a couple of shoulders before, but I never juiced them after the pull. Ideas, suggestions?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• paulheels
    Options
    Never have I done that.  I always cook to give me three or four hours before food is served and wrap in foil and cooler it.  Never been dried out.  Actually the one time I tried to add some juice to it, was the worst bbq i ever had.  let it set in foil and cooler and then pull, it will be perfect

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I don't touch mine for 8 hours. Then mist with apple juice and apple cider vinegar every hour until done. Cook to 195 internal then wrap in HDAF and then a beach towel and cooler for an hour or two. Always been extremely juicy with a nice bark when I pull it. I also use a drip pan with water and usually use apple chips. Been good for me so far.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As I have just learned. The setting period for PP is not needed. Just handy to get to dinner time. I thought it was law to set for at least an hour, it's not.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• paulheels
    Options
    @Mickey,  I have let them set four hours and for minutes.  I have eaten alot of bbq and i have not been able to tell.  I usually let mine set because i want to make sure I have plenty of cook time!  Nothing like the food being ready an hour after! 

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    resting cooler is good if you are done way too early. resting for an hour or so is good if you pull by hand.  i can't bring myself to buy special plastic claws for pulling PP, and just use forks and fingers.  a rest of an hour or so helps it cool a bit, is all.

resting PP is not like resting a roast.  no real need, but a trick that can make things easier for you, whether helping to time serving, or letting it cool to the touch a bit
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chubbs
    Options
    As stike said, my point of resting is usually because i pull by hand/forks and believe or not 200 degree pork does burn the hands a bit! I have some heat insulated gloves, but it is hard for me to pull with them for some reason.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I don't know that it is necessary, but sometimes I add a small amount of sauce to keep it moist. I usually make a  vinegar type sauce. The original recipe I used called it North Carolina style, but I don't know how accurate it is never having been there. The recipe is listed on my blog under the tab Sauces if you are interested.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Options

Thanks to stike I can now eat the second it is ready (no rest period). If you were asking about claws?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Options
    I don't know that it is necessary, but sometimes I add a small amount of sauce to keep it moist. I usually make a  vinegar type sauce. The original recipe I used called it North Carolina style, but I don't know how accurate it is never having been there. The recipe is listed on my blog under the tab Sauces if you are interested.
    Yeah, now the sauce I make for my butts is a traditional NC vinegar sauce, but I don't add any to the foil.

Mickey, I have been thinking about the bear claws. Work well?

• Griffin,

Just checked out your blog.  I'm from NC and wanted to confirm that your sauce is true to NC standards.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Mickey
    Options
    @Chubbs  The claws do all the work. Amazon has them for $13.95.

• stike
    Options
    what about a pair of forks?

• Mickey
    Options
    stike those puppys work well to pick up all kinds of hot items from the grill as well.

• stilllaughing
    Options
    I use a large cheese cutter which is a large blade with a handle at each end. It's like a pizza cutter but with a straight blade.
  • stike
    Options
    @mickey. so do tongs.

:-))

sorry. cheap bast^rd here.
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    Options
    @ stike. Take it. After the knowledge you gave me on being able to eat PP w/o rest...... stike if you are ever in the central Texas area in March lots of your friends come to the Salado EggFest and we would like to have you.

• stike
    edited February 2012
    Options
    i have friends?  that would be a first
    :))
    (thanks, btw)