Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg'r here

XLBalco
XLBalco Posts: 607
edited February 2012 in Root

Finally decided to join after lurking for quite some time..  purchased my XL back in october and like most new egger's  say- the egg is pretty awesome.

even though it has been a mild winter - it has still been pretty cold and i was truly amazed at the difference the egg made vs my gasser and lil metal smoker this winter.  been using it pretty regularly  because it has been so easy to use.

picked up some great tips here as well which helped a ton!

Comments

• I'm gonna be a new egger soon too I hope.  I'm picking up a ton of good info here... glad I found this place :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Welcome to the forum. Please ask questions, post your cooks and take lots of pictures as most here can't read =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Welcome guys. You're in the right place. I look forward to seeing pics of your cooks. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Watt du yu meen Mickey. We can reed and right. Write?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • XLBalco

definitely have pics - been doing that for a long time... let's see if i can post them here with no issues!

id say my cooks have been basic so far.....  tried beer can chicken once and then read about spatchcocked and havent dont another beer can again!

here are some picsimage

• Simply beautiful Balco!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Nice , Very nice and explore the world of this magnificent tool
    LET'S EAT
  • XLBalco
    edited February 2012

thanks... trying to get the hang of it....  havent learned to dial in the temp as good as i would like.  read alot of what has been posted here  but cant quite seem to master it just yet.. not sure if it has to do with the temps here or not?  most if not all of my cooks have been done in under 30degree weather...

here are some ribs from this weekend...  tasted great just a bit overcooked :)... then some poppers i made a while back when i first got the egg.. or.... errr, whats left of them

imageimage

• work on your top and bottom vent, Bout 1/2 inch on bottom and 1/4 inch on the daisy wheel is close to 250 on my XL and go from there with your egg
    LET'S EAT
  • XLBalco

ive tried that and it seems to choke down the fire too much and put it out.. again- i dont know if it is weather related at this point?  looking to see if there is any difference this spring or summer wen the temps and humidity rises?

that is with new lump, new lump/old lump mix and  clear vent holes, etc.

i did try to leave the daisy wheel off as some have sugested and just control with the bottom vent- that seemed to work ok on cooks over 300.

• I've found that if I let everything stabilize for 10 minutes before putting the food on, it helps control the temp better. I'm still learning too, so I can only offer what I've learned in the last month.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

XLBalco you are one of us brother. I did a 250 over the weekend for several hours w/o the top. I always toss the top over 300 but this worked out.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLBalco

LOL, thanks!  i am really just trying toget the hang of it and learn something along the way from ya'll!!

here's a side that came out good too... no afters unfortunately

• man you guys with the xl are making me question my xl and the air flow....about 1/8" at bottom vent and 1/4 open on the dmft will send mine up above 275 to near 300...I have to watch low and slow like a hawk...now it does give me plenty of time to work on the exact mix for a vodka tonic or two or three or ....what were we talking about?

did salmon tonite after cooling my xl down from 600 with about 2inch opening on the bottom and wide open on the dmft top while i was getting the salmon stuff ready...two vokak toonnics wr prufitct r sooo i was tolld..gong to bbed nowwww.

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Woody. What brand lump are you using and how big of a fire are you starting?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI