Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage?

Timberdog
Timberdog Posts: 0
edited February 2012 in Cookbook
Hi All,
I am a brand new BGE user and am working through my temperature settings.  Anyone have a suggestion on the best temp to cook some very lean italian sausages?
Thanks!

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    350º direct seems to work for me.

Gerhard
  • Poach them in 160 degree water for 10 minutes then grill at 400 degrees until they are 160.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I was surprised not long ago when the owner of a very successful hot dog/sausage shop also said to simmer the sausages briefly before grilling. He said it made the casings tougher, and less likely to burst when finally grilled. I've tried it, and not noticed much of a difference. However, I'm not cooking 1000 an hour.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Age old Brat recipe - boil in a beer and onion mixture, take out - grill for a few minutes - then return to the beer mixture.

Cookin in Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    gentle heat is what keeps them from bursting, that and not overcooking.
    weisswurst swells as it hits temp.  good to not overfill when making homemade sausage

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cooked these last night.  On or about 400 degrees, turned three times at 10 minute intervals.  On the last turn I closed all the vents for the final 10 minutes.  I used an elevated grid.

One thing a lot of new users overlook is "heat soaking" the dome.  It is ok to heat past your target, because opening to place your cook inside lets a big bubble of heat out.  If you have the dome well heated the Egg should reheat quickly to your target temp.  Of course you also want the dome hot so the radiant heat is cook all around.

Speaking of opening the dome, make sure you understand about blowback.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    @doc.  if you have dripping fat, be careful shutting vents.  that can make for some nasty sooty smoke with no place to go but on the food.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    If you want to kick it up a notch smoke your sausage.  I use fresh Italian and fresh Polish sausage and smoke them for about 3 hours at about 185-190 degrees.  Most of the fat renders out and they are unbelievably delicious.   

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    We just did some lean brats along with burger for lunch. We did 350 degrees direct, for about 30 minutes, turning every 6 minutes or so.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Please don't par-cook brats & sausages, that's just nasty and adds nothing positive to the cook.  Slow cook them (for approx.  20 min.) and don't break the casing while cooking.  If you follow these rules, you'll consistently have the best brats/sausages you can have.
    Signed,
    "Long time brat cooker"
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Boiling sausage (or hot dogs) before cooking does nothing for them except gives you sausage flavored water. IMHO. =))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Mmm......sausage flavored water =P~
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited April 2012

I just took off some sausage that I bought from the market, a jalapeno cheese & a chorizo. .

Smoked them at 270º for about an hour and a half. Casing intact and chewey, bursting with moisture on the inside ...very nice!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Raised grid direct at 325-350 works great for me.  Casings get firm and crisp without splitting, and the sausage stays moist while getting cooked through.  Last sausage cook was this weekend...homemade brats that were 80/20 lean...32mm natural hog casings.  About 30 minutes and done.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Has anyone cooked with a cast iron dutch oven in an egg.  I have an idea for a beef and pork cook, braised in my special tomato sauce with mushrooms, peppers and onions.  Somebody out there must have tried some dish in a dutch oven.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Yep.Lotsa times.Leave the top off or you may as well use the oven.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    edited April 2012
    Has anyone cooked with a cast iron dutch oven in an egg.  I have an idea for a beef and pork cook, braised in my special tomato sauce with mushrooms, peppers and onions.  Somebody out there must have tried some dish in a dutch oven.

once or twice i have :)