Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Owner

pmckinney4
pmckinney4 Posts: 17
edited February 2012 in Root
Just got a new Large BGE.   My propane grill was too rusted out to use
anymore.   Burnt the last several things I have cooked on it.  

Anyway, got it fired up last night and it made the perfect steaks.

Two things surprised me in the buying process:

1.) Prices ranged anywhere from $695(w/stainless steel grate) to just
under $1,100 (with porcelain grate).   Some of the vendors told me that
BGE just upped their prices.   It appears not all of the dealers have
increased their prices yet.   Perhaps they still have old stock or
something?

2.) A couple of the vendors I called to get pricing from tried pushing
the kamodo joe over the phone saying it was cheaper and came with all
the accessories.   

Comments

• I haven't started my 'shopping' process yet but I plan to visit a local dealer tomorrow because I'm getting ready to buy a large egg also.  Maybe I should give my local dealer a call before I visit the showroom...  Based on numbers I have seen I'm hoping to get a BGE large for less than $850 with no options. 
  • Ask them what the warranty is for the Kamado Joe, what the hottest temp is that is recommended for the Kamado Joe, and "why" it's cheaper.

You can buy a Shelby Cobra "kit" car, which is most definitely cheaper than an actual Shelby Cobra. Or, if you have the $$, you can get the real thing. There is a reason why the BGE is copied (they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - I say if you can't come up w/ your own idea, just copy someone else's). In reality, the BGE style of kamado isn't new either, but the shape, Eggsessories, color, ceramic material, etc has been updated/upgraded/perfected over a style of cooker (kamado) that originated in Japan probably over 1000 years ago.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140

I purchased my Large for $749 with tax it was close to $800.  There was a dealer 60 miles away that qutoed me $699 but thought I would go with the dealer that is 30 miles from home.  I also had another quote me $799.