Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just put my new LBGE and table together last night.

BubbaSambo
BubbaSambo Posts: 36
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageWell, I've been lurking the forum for a couple of months and finally bought a BGE about a month ago prior to a move from Pensacola to Panama City, Florida - so I kept it in the box until we made the move.  By the way, I think Pensacola has the best prices in the country on BGEs ($620 for LBGE) and eggcessories.

Anyway, I had a couple of questions.  

1) Concerning the Ceramic Damper - I picked it up, in the box, and it slipped out of my hands, while still in the box, and broke into about 5 pieces.  I bought some JB Weld on the way in to work this morning and put it back together.  My question is, if it is only used while the BGE is not in use (basically it is just a rain cap, correct?); does it matter  or do I need to purchase a new one?
2) I put the BGE together by myself and didn't have a brick/paver to set it on in the table.  I did put it on the feet that came with it.  Will that work, or should I go buy a paver?
3) My wife is out of town and won't be back until Friday, which is when we will have our first cook.  I was thinking of doing a pizza.  Does that sound like a reasonable plan for my first cook?  Any suggestions?

I tried to attach some pictures but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.  I may need to edit my post or add them to the thread in a follow up.  Anyway, I appreciate all of your insight and look forward to future discussions centered around cooking on the BGE with all of you!

RMFT LBGE

Comments

• Born and raised in Gulf Breeze. Hi and welcome. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thanks Travis,  I'm still trying to figure out these images...

I'm originally from Dothan, AL but I really liked Pensacola.  It sure is a beautiful place.
    RMFT LBGE
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Hi and Welcome, I would highly recommend a paver and use the feet for added protection, I have heard some bad stories when they were not used!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Pizza might be too hot for a first cook. All the literature recommends something lower.
  • Thanks guys, we were first thinking of doing a spatchcock chicken.  Perhaps we'll go that route instead.

I appreciate the advice.  That is the first I had heard about a break in period.  How long before I can go nuclear?
    RMFT LBGE
  • Welcome here, I use the lid for putting the fire out, close the lower vent and "cap it" I have heard of some people using JB weld, others buy a new one, or some get a custom made cap. You will need some sort of cap. Most people with tables put a paver under their egg and if you have the three feet they use them as well. I believe the XL doesn't come with feet, others here will verify. I would want as much barrier as possible if your table is wood. Pizza's turn out great on the egg. Do you have a plate setter and pizza stone? Plate setter legs down, pizza stone on top of that with some air gap. (I use those three little feet, my egg is in a nest). What works for me is to stabilize the egg's temp with all the accessories in. I let them sit in the egg for about 30-40 minutes and then put the pizza on. There are a number of way to slide the pizza on. I use parchment paper under neath the crust and then slide the whole she bang onto the pizza peel and then delivery it to the egg.
    Good Luck enjoy the Za it is awesome. You won't be ordering in once you get a taste of this.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • BubbaSambo
    BubbaSambo Posts: 36
    edited February 2012

smokesniffer: Yes, we did go ahead and get the pizza stone and platesetter, as well as BGE meat thermometer (I probably got my ass busted on that one at $20), Wok Topper, Dizzy Pig rub, Southern Seasoning, Ash Tool, and grill tool.  And thank you for your advice.

[Hopefully] you can see in the pictures how much damage I did to the Ceramic Damper.  I hope it is still serviceable.  This is my first time using JB Weld.  We'll have to see how it holds up I supose.
    RMFT LBGE
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Looks like a pretty good patch job. J B Weld is unbelievably strong and it should hold up. I broke my damper top a month after buying my egg when I was pulling the cover off my grill. It hurt pretty bad seeing as how everything was still fairly new. I went to my dealer and they sold me a new one for $25. I have also ordered a new custom one from Lara at http://www.larafors.com/etc.htm. I feel your pain as I know you were none to happy to see the damper break. Have fun egging!!!
  • Nice job!!!! Not really liking the white interior though
    LET'S EAT
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I was anxious to get started when I got my egg a month or so ago. I actually did a trial run to see how well I could regulate the temperature while not letting the temp get over 300 as a break in period. I would suggest calibrating the dome thermometer, boil some water, hold the thermometer in the water with some pliers, it should read 212 degrees, use the nut on the back to dial it in.

As for cooking, I did two spatchcock chickens and highly recommend them. Direct heat at 350, you won't be dissapointed. Lastly, I really recommend getting the Maverick dual temperature sensor with the alarm, you'll love it for your low and slow cooks.

Enjoy and get the white off that thing.
  • Thanks Mike!  I thought I saw where there was someone who did custom dampers.  I may have to get a Bama one done.

Flamethrower, I guess you're referring to my workshed / garage re: the white interior.  I'll agree.  It needs some work.  I'll have to get on that!
    RMFT LBGE
  • jbates, that is good advice.  I appreciate it and I was wondering how to calibrate a thermometer - that makes sense.

It took me a second to get what y'all were talking about on the white interior.  I agree, I need to get that thing smoked out!
    RMFT LBGE
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Bet he was talking about how white the egg is and that you need to blacken that thing up with some cooks!!!!
  • Bet he was talking about how white the egg is and that you need to blacken that thing up with some cooks!!!!
    I gotcha!  Took me a minute...
    RMFT LBGE
  • Yep!!!!!!!! =))  I crack my self up,No pun intended
    LET'S EAT
  • I saw the replacement caps on ebay the other day for $9.00

XL   Walled Lake, MI