Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stalled out pastrami. Help please.

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooking pastrami from the "playing with fire and smoke" site. I put it on this morning at 10:00. It's been stalled out at 161 degrees for about two hours. Is this normal? The site said it should take about an hour per lbs. Mine is 2.2 lbs. Obviously it should have been done hours ago. Any suggestions you guys may have would surely be appreciated.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I haven't looked at thirdeye's recipe for awhile, so don't know the exact cooking situation. The meat appears to be in the "plateau," or "stall." That is a period of evaporative cooling than many chunks of meat go thru. You could up the temperature a little to push it thru the plateau. Once it breaks about 185, the temperature should climb quickly to 195 - 205.

• daveyray72
    Options
    Every brisket stalls...cooking by time is just a guideline...best to just cook to temp.  
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • Thanks for the advice. Didn't know a brisket stalls out like a butt. Took it off a 170 and let it rest an hour. Great flavor, but really tough. I put it back on and am going to pull it at 180. I don't mind the process, but my expectations were a little askew. There is no way "1hr/lbs" is applicable.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Didn't know a brisket stalls out like a butt. Took it off a 170 and let it rest an hour. Great flavor, but really tough. I put it back on and am going to pull it at 180. I don't mind the process, but my expectations were a little askew. There is no way "1hr/lbs" is applicable.
    rules for brisket, butt, pastrami, etc, never wotk when you start with the equivilent of a steak tip kabob for size, they really only work fro certian sizes, i wouldnt cook that unless its atleast a 7 pound flat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I put it back on and am going to pull it at 180. I don't mind the process, but my expectations were a little askew. There is no way "1hr/lbs" is applicable.

It will still be tough at 180. Need to be up closer to 200.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thanks chubs. Gonna let it go to 200. Really appreciate the advice. God bless Wicked Good Charcoal.

Med & XL

edited February 2012
    Options
    Will do, but for future reference, what exactly does the wrapping in foil do.

Med & XL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    never seen pastrami cooked to that high a temp, 180 max and reheat with steam or steam it last off the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone that helped me out. I took it off at 200.  Great flavor and extreamly tender.  I'll definitely plan on more of a cook time on my next attempt.  image

Med & XL

• stevesails
    Options

interesting.  is there a fork test for pastarmi?

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Not too sure.  I would be afraid to mess up the crust.

Med & XL

• EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    God bless Wicked Good Charcoal.
    ^^^ Amen to that!   ;)

Good lookin pastrami there!
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg