Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken & Zucchini

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
After eating a lot of beef ribs, baby backs, spares, and pulled pork the last couple of weeks my wife asked for a weekend of a little healthier cooking and just chicken and fish for the protein. Today's chicken cook on the Small BGE consisted of 4 leg quarters seasoned with the Rub Co's Hot Wing Rub and either Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub or Big Butz Chicken Dust.

The leg quarters on the left side were topped with Cherry Rub and the ones on the right with Chicken Dust:

Hot Wing Rub/Cherry Rub:

Hot Wing Rub/Chicken Dust:

Finished them up direct:

Pulled them off:

Took some zucchini that had been soaking in some balsamic vinegar and grilled them for few minutes:

Topped with some parmesan & romano cheese and let them cook for another couple minutes for the cheese to melt:

It is still eating healthy when you eat more than you should and you're stuffed?

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Flamethrower
    Options

How many cooks on that gasket?

LET'S EAT
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    That's cook #2 on the Nomex gasket!  It's too white and I feel like I have to get it dirty.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Nice cook -- looks delicious! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks!

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks tasty! I'd tear that up, especially the zucchini. How big is your egg?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks! The Small has a 13" diameter cooking grate.

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Thanks! The Small has a 13" diameter cooking grate.
    I thought it was a small but thought I'd ask. I want one to go with my large...how do you like yours?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    The Small is a great size to pair up with a Large or XL particularly if you only cook for 2-4 people most of the time.  At about 65 lbs it is still light enough for me to load into my car and take it on trips.  It's also a great size for cooking a whole chicken and if loaded up on a longer burning lump it can cook long enough to cook a pork shoulder.  It is also quicker to respond to temp changes than my XL.

Of the 3 Eggs we have, I'd say our Small gets the most use (only cooking for 2 most of the time).  I really like it!

Bay Area, CA