Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a "whole lot of pork" questions...

Options
smokinsooner
smokinsooner Posts: 161
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
So the first pulled pork was a success...now I'm signed up to cook the same for about 50 people. I just bought an Adjustable Rig so I shouldn't have a space issue. I'm thinking 4- 8 or 9lb bone-in butts, since portion size is 1/2 lb per... raw weight.
A) Will I need a longer cook time?
B) will I need to rotate the butts top-to-bottom at any point?
c) Meat probe in a butt on the bottom, top... Or smallest?
This should be fun!
BOOMER!

Comments

• ribmaster
    Options

If they are not touching no extra time needs to be added.

I would rotate every 4 hours. Temp probe in the smallest.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    heck, even if they are touching, no real extra time except the longer recovery for all that cold meat

allow plenty of time, and you can let them rest in a cooler if you have to.  they'll stay hot for hours.  no need to 'rest' them though, if the are done right on schedule. only if you are early
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Like stike said could be an hour recovery
    LET'S EAT
  • stilllaughing
    Options

The only thing that will affect your cooking time will be the fact that it'll take your BGE a little longer to get back up to temp because of the larger cold mass. If your temp was stable before you put the meat on just be patient. Touching makes no difference because they start shrinking very quickly and pull away from each other.

I put the probe in the smallest. When that one hits temp I check all of the others and pull the ones that are done. Then I move the probe to the next warmest.

I only rotate if one side seems to be cooking more than the other. Starting your fire in 3 different places seems to help keep things even.