Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning out the ash....

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
How many of you use the BGE dustpan, the one that is contoured and has a little lip (turned down) that fits into the grove of the lower draft door? Right now I am just angling a regular dust pan underneath the vent and below the bottom of the egg, and removing the ash that way. Downside is the ash drops into the grove. It is just dirtier and takes a little TLC to remove the ash from the groove. Not a big deal but I see Amazon has the dust pan on for $20. Any DIY ideas out there?
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    My small shop vac does the trick for me.
  •  I use a regular dust pan, I did buy the lump ash sifter from tasteylicks. I also take out the ring and fire box every couple of months and give it a vacuum.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • @ jbates, isn't the ash to fine for the vac?? Won't it screw up the motor?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • The old kitty litter box works for me:-)  I tried a shopvac, but it blew too much ash out the exhaust.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• So far all I have used is the cover from my Weber kettle grill. The Weber also serves as storage for my ash tool, plate setter and pizza stone :))
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I use the bge ash pan. Works great. I do still get some dust in the groove though. I usually use my ash tool on edge and scrape it out or close my eyes and blow.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I use a 4 gallon shop vac, it's outside and don't really care were it goes as long as it out of the egg. My vac runs ok you can get them at wallys for about $25, use it till it stops. Mine been doing good far several years. I use a thick paint brush to get out as much as I can, then vac.

Living the good life in MACDonna
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited February 2012

@ jbates, isn't the ash to fine for the vac?? Won't it screw up the motor?
    I use a shop vac as well...no worries if you have a drywall dust filter installed - works like a charm.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I dump it into a regular dustpan.  I also got a small plastic dust pan (~ 4" wide) and matching brush for less than $5 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I use the brush to sweep out the grove and the mini dustpan to scoop up small pieces. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Agreed, with the filter on it, I don't have a problem and if some does get through, like someone else said, it's outside. I think I got mine at harbor freight for $20, if it lasts a year or two it's worth it to me.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I keep a metal oyster bucket under mine and just rake it out into the bucket. The bucket stays there until I decide to empty it. Easy, clean, and safe with the metal.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I tried the ash rake. What a mess, and did get ash in the vent groove. I now use the shop vac with no problems. I may try the dry wall filter, but, like somebody said, it's outside.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I tried the ash rake. What a mess, and did get ash in the vent groove. I now use the shop vac with no problems. I may try the dry wall filter, but, like somebody said, it's outside.

The ash tool? As in the 90 degree metal tool? That thing is not messy at all for me. Put it in the vent and look through the grill. Rake it out into the bucket. As easy as it gets.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I'm with Chubbs and the metal bucket. Then I use a cheap-o shop vac to clean up any spillage/grooves etc.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    If I had a shop vac I would use it, but the ash tool and ash pan is super easy. I really don't worry about getting every bit out. I think some ash in the bottom may help the bottom from getting as hot. Kinda blocks a little of the radiant heat from the lump.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Shop vac 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • So far all I have used is the cover from my Weber kettle grill. The Weber also serves as storage for my ash tool, plate setter and pizza stone :))

I do the same thing with my old Weber! :)
  • Gato, yes, ash is a good insulator, and when I first got my first Egg, the "old timers" recommended leaving a little in the bottom.
    The Naked Whiz
  • jmsmrdk
    jmsmrdk Posts: 87
    edited February 2012
    Shop-Vac.  No reason to use a cheap one.  You can abuse a Ridgid or Shop-Vac brand everyday for at least a couple years before it craps out.  A weekly (monthly for me)  five minutes of ash shouldn't be an issue.  As already stated, they have filters that can handle just about anything.
  • and i use a wooden spoon and five gallon bucket between vacuumings
  • My wife gave me the egg ashpan for Christmas and I have been using it.  I give my coals a good stir and then scrape the ash out of the bottom before the cook.  About every other week, I take the shop vac to it and and take the firebox out etc.  I find it very handy for in between cleaning.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    I use a 5 gal. Bucket to empty the ash in using the the ash tool. After it's about a quarter full I empty it into my garden box.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012

After I got my High Ques did not need my LawnRanger Wiggle Rod or other poker he make me. So made ash rakes for the large and mini:

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Shop vac WITH a bag installed in it.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • I have a shop vas also. Just used it today. Even though my egg is only weeks old it had a lot of ash even after I cleaned it out or what I thought was clean until I removed the ring and fire box. There was alot of ash.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I use a ShopVac before a low and slow but then I have removed the fire ring and box. Typically I have a 5 gal bucket that I scrap the ash into before I light the egg. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Ash tool and a bucket for me, and like Gato I then just close my eyes and blow the groove clean.

The ash tool is very difficult to use with my Small, however; makes me ask the question:

Has anyone ever tried a leaf blower?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

Has anyone ever tried a leaf blower?  
    Promise me you'll have some one video you when you do it.  :lol:

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    On my XL, I use the BGE dust pan & do the same as Gato.  Like Botch, I found the pan isn't contoured to work so well with the Small or Mini so I don't bother with it and just take a few minutes to clean out the ash from the top before cooking.  My Small/Mini ash tool goes unused.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • I take everything out of the egg and scrape the ash into an ashpan. For all the little stuff I can't get easily, I break out the leaf blower. Point it at the lower vent and you get a little dust devil rising up out of the egg. Of course, then you have to blow the ash off of the shelves, lid, driveway, dog and anything else nearby.

The better you clean with the ash tool, the smaller the dust tornado. Could be nice science lesson on vortex winds...