Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time pizza - burnt disaster...

joeybrown105
joeybrown105 Posts: 82
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

After 3 years of BGE ownership, I've mastered ribs/poultry/beef/pork/pretty much anything under the sun, but last night, tried pizza for the first time, and it was nothing short of a disaster. Everything seemed to be OK, except for the crust was burnt to a charred crisp and inedible... Any help/feedback/suggestions would be much appreciated

thanks!
Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter

Comments

• Did you cook it on a pizza stone on top of the placesetter?  We have done this several times and they came out great.
  • How was everything setup?

This is the setup that I use:
    1. Plate setter legs down
    2. BGE "feet" between plate setter and pizza stone. 
    3. Heat to 500-535.   

It is very important to have air space between plate setter and stone.  

With some patience and a little research on this site you will master the pizza.  
  • Thanks for the quick responses...

plate setter legs up
    pizza stone on the legs...

Looked great when i had it running, similar to an actual pizza brick oven with flames coming up around the edges..
    Nashville, TN

• I will have to try the feet between the setter and stone.  I did not do this in the past and have cooked my gasket off because the stone ends up at the level of the gasket.  Yep, I have always had flames coming up around the stone.  Sometimes I shut the lower air supply just as I am going to open it to keep them down some.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    The thickness of your pie matters.  With a thin, neapolitan-style crust, you can shoot for 800 degrees and a quick-cooking pie.  A thicker one, for instance a Papa Murphy's "Cowboy", needs a lower temp, 450 or so.  
    I badly burned my first "thick" pizza, its just a matter of experimenting; good luck!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Joey - did you make your own dough or buy?  There might be to much sugar in the dough and it would burn much quicker than others.  One possibility.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300

I get great results with 500-600 degrees, you don't have to get to 800 or anywhere near it to get good pizza. 

The set up I use is legs DOWN on the platesetter, BGE Stone OR Emile Henry stone directly on the plate setter, and two things I find to be a MUST.

1. Heat up the stone BEFORE you put on the pizza

2. Parchment paper under the pizza.

Also regular crust recommened (my experience only for best results); not thin.

Hope this helps.  There are a lot of pictures of pizza cooks on my blogsite if you are looking for set ups and recipies also.  Good luck, we've all burned one or two pizzas. 

Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • @irishdevil - bought the dough from publix... you might be on to something there..
    Nashville, TN

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    What size was your stone? Must me big to fit on the platesetter legs? Or do you mean on the grid? Never seen that setup. I would think it might block some heat getting to the dome which may delay the toppings from cooking. Just a thought.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • the stone is fitted for my medium BGE - and sits flush on top of the plate setter legs...
    Nashville, TN

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I also turn my pizza a few time during the cook for more even cooking!

I use plate setter with stone sitting on top! or the adjustable rig with a pan of water on bottom shelve and a pizza stone on the top shelve! 
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Yes that wasn't the issue I dont think... I was turning the pizza 1/4 turn every 3-4 minutes... Top/sides were all pretty evenly cooked, however, man, was the bottom of the crust burnt lol

Nashville, TN

• hsh750
    hsh750 Posts: 30
    Just a thought here. I am by no means a pro with the egg. but the first thing that comes to my mind is that if you are opening the egg to turn the pizza that much, then the stone would be cooking the bottom of the crust and the toppings would be exposed more to non cooking air???? Maybe a question more than an observation. I would think that by opening the lid of the egg, would you not be losing a lot of heat to cook the top of the pizza?
  • @hsh750 -- I was wondering the same thing? 

I didn't have any trouble with the dough from Publix but it seems many people are.  I put the plate setter legs up, then the grate, & then the pizza stone.  I had my cooker cranked -- the pizza was perfect in 6 minutes.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • How long did you bake the pie?  I used to do pies from a local pizza joint at 550 for 6-7 minutes and got perfect results every time.  I did plate setter legs down, with a 16" stone on top of that (in a large Egg).
    The Naked Whiz
  • How long did you bake the pie?  I used to do pies from a local pizza joint at 550 for 6-7 minutes and got perfect results every time.  I did plate setter legs down, with a 16" stone on top of that (in a large Egg).

Thank you for your great site and for your pizza instructions. Don't know why we waited, but made our first pizza tonight after several years of owning an egg. Came out great and crust was nice and crispy, just how I like it.

For those in Minneapolis, Broders deli (not the pass bar across the street) sells freshly made small balls of pizza dough. They also sell their sauce and other goodies. Highly recommend it!
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541

Hello all,

After 3 years of BGE ownership, I've mastered ribs/poultry/beef/pork/pretty much anything under the sun, but last night, tried pizza for the first time, and it was nothing short of a disaster. Everything seemed to be OK, except for the crust was burnt to a charred crisp and inedible... Any help/feedback/suggestions would be much appreciated

thanks!
    Pics, or it didn't happen!