Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump usage

Options
austinfajitaman
austinfajitaman Posts: 18
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
We've had our egg for a couple of months now and have cooked a bunch of different things on it, mostly all successful.  We are well sold and 
becoming more so with every cook.  My observation is that I am going through lump charcoal at a pretty good clip.  I don't try to be sparing with it.  I basically dump it out of the bag and fill the firebox up.  I agree with what I have read that you will burn what you need and the rest is saved.  I have two other gas grills and I certainly went through many many $18 dollar cylinders so I am not complaining, just amused with the amount of lump I am burning.  I am seeing some difference in burn time among different brands.  Do the rest of you haul truckloads of lump home?  Is this a normal part of the Egg experience?

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    I have 13 bags of Royal Oak lump in my garage right now. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'm buying it by the bag for now hoping that by late spring wallmart and others will have stuff in stock at a good price.

A number of years ago, I bought a half pallet of mesquite from home depot when I got a smoking deal on it because winter had arrived and they wanted it out of the store.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Someone posted a question about lump usage a while back and I figured up that I used somewhere close to 350 lbs. over the last year.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'd bet it is simply because you are cooking more.
    i was never a fan of the "one bag of lump will last months" line the advertising seemed to purport.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I guess it depends on the type of cooks you are doing and how often.  I generally on average do two direct cooks and one indirect cook per week - sometime more sometimes less.  I go through two to three 20# bags a month, the money it saves me over eating out...more than pays for the lump usage.  :)
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I agree with stike. My first bag of lump was BGE lump. The advertising says that a bag will last for a month. I burned through that bag in the first 2 weeks. I was also cooking more. As joe said, it also depends on what you are cooking. When I cook pizzas at super high temps on family pizza night, I burn almost all of the lump in the fire box. That, of course, is when I cooked 6 pizzas and kept the fire roaring for hours.

I had a natural gas hook up on my gasser and I would still rather buy lump and cook on the egg than use the gas grill.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • austinfajitaman
    Options
    I am definitely cooking out more. I'm looking for things to cook on the egg. Even the dog is nervous.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I am definitely cooking out more. I'm looking for things to cook on the egg. Even the dog is nervous.
    LOL! 
    =))
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options

I basically dump it out of the bag and fill the firebox up. 

I found when i dumped it strait from the bag into the egg it packed in to hard and didnt make a good fire.I place it in by hand and sort through the bag and build a fire.I
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    We fire up the Large and the Extra Large almost every night.  Actually every night but one in the last month.  We go through about a 25 lb bag a week (not counting the significant amount still in the Eggs when I empty the bag.)  I also dump the last part of the bag into the ash bucket and pick out lumps so as to avoid dumping coal dust into the Eggs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bge30plus
    Options
     I purchase 20 bags of RO 20# at Wallys ever time I buy. The Wallys here in the S. Atalnta area do not always have much of supply and in winter it's even worst. If I cook a lot I will use 20# a week. I too use a gas grill along with the BGE. It's on my natural gas line and when we cook alot my gas bill can be 75 to 80 $$ higher and that's in summer. I have a large galv trash can I pour the small suff in that's in the bottom of the bag. I wish I could find Dragon's Breath. It was by far the greatest lump.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I know I go through a lot more lump with my egg than my weber kettle and wsm. As Stike mentioned, I use the egg a lot more. Have had a pretty mild winter by Ohio standards and I have averaged using the egg just short of four days a week since Christmas. Pizza every Friday, wings Saturday, chicken or chops Sunday. Throw in the occaional burger or Italian sausage during the week adds up to a lot of lump, even in an egg:)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Got me thinking - got my egg for christmas this year - we have had some crappy weather - but I have probably gone through 7 or so bags in january and feb.
    Cookin in Texas
  • jmsmrdk
    Options

I basically dump it out of the bag and fill the firebox up. 

I found when i dumped it strait from the bag into the egg it packed in to hard and didnt make a good fire.I place it in by hand and sort through the bag and build a fire.I
    you also might get undesirable's in your fire if you just dump.  I've heard of plastic melted to the side of the egg. yuck!  I've only found rocks and concrete but you never know.
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    Stick with quality lump and it will burn hotter and longer than the cheapo stuff.  Green Egg charcoal is pretty good, best I have used so far is Wicked Good charcoal, it goes forever and makes very little ash.
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Stick with quality lump and it will burn hotter and longer than the cheapo stuff.  Green Egg charcoal is pretty good, best I have used so far is Wicked Good charcoal, it goes forever and makes very little ash.
    I agee with you EZEGG about the WG though I found it to be a bit intimidateing on the first few uses. Doesn't look like other lumps and some of the pieces look like real trees. Burns well & little ash. I haven't tried it on a true low and slow yet. Anyone have any experience other than a mapp torch for lighting it for low and slow. For regular grilling I have been lighting from below with newspaper/oil since I got a high que grate but I think that would be counter productive because it lights everything at once.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • gumbo_bill
    Options
    It is good to check your gasket for air leaks.  If alot of air is  leaking in,  it will continue to burn lump  when you intended to shut it down.  Do the dollar bill test for air leaks.