Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank Steak Stir Fry (Ceramic Wok)

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Flank Steak Stir Fry 

Pulling  out last summers favorites and recycling these cooks.  Enjoy. Missouri Legacy Beef Flank Steak (Columbia, MO) was once again the centerpiece for this Wok dinner on the Big Green Egg.  Prepared using the ceramic Emile Henry Flame Top Wok; serves 3-4.

Ingredients

1. 1 ½ lb. Flank Steak – organic.  Sliced into large bite size pieces
  2. 5 Large Green Onions, chopped
  3. 1 - 15 oz. can, Cut Baby Corn - Organic
  4. 1 - 8 oz. can, Water Chestnuts, sliced
  5. 4 Medium - Bell Peppers, 1 each Red, Orange, Yellow and Green; sliced thin)
  6. EVOO for Wok
  7. 9 oz. Udon Noodles
  8. 9 oz. Kikkoman Stir-Fry Sauce
  9. 1 Large Bunch of Fresh Garlic Herbs, minced
  10. Paul Prudhommes Meat Magic seasoning

Preparation

1. Sprinkle the beef with Paul Prudhommes Meat Magic and let marinate 3-4 hours prior to cooking
  2. Fire up the BGE and let it come to full flame while you prepare your ingredients; add approximately 2 Cups of water to wok and bring to boil.
  3. Add Udon Noodles and stir continuously until tender (approximately 4 minutes).
  4. Remove from heat, and drain. 
  5. Return wok to grid and drizzle Oil into hot Wok and add the minced garlic, green onions and flank steak stirring constantly until done.
  6.  Dump in Veggies and add more oil around the edges of the pan; stirring constantly until peppers are 'limp crispy'
  7. Add back the flank steak, noodles and bring to temperature, dump in the sauce and noodles then stir continuously until heated throughout.  Remove and serve.

Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Looks great. Now I'm starving. I saw that stir fry sauce before. Want to try it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    I agree Gato. Dying to try some stir fry now. Been watching videos on stir fry on youtube all afternoon after reading this post! Too good!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • thebtls
    Options
    Thanks Gato and NightwingXP.  I do a lot of stirfry on the Egg.  Mainly small variations from what you see here.  I might do rice instead of noodles, change up to sauce, the meat, etc but in the end it's more often than not what I have on hand that makes the ingredient mixture of the day.   e.g. if I have bell peppers that are going to go bad I'll do a stir fry and  just pull the rest together from the pantry,. Keep On Eggin.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice cook. Questions;  Emile Henry Flame Top Wok no seasoning on woc?, can wash with soap?, will it get as hot? That may be just the thing for the seasoning wok challenged ( mine from the Wok Shop is XXX).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Mickey,

Did you watch the video on seasoning a wok from The Wok Shop?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Options
    Gary do you forget I am the only person in America who sold my DigiQ w/o opening it and now can't work my PartyQ (the DigiQ for the challanged). Yes, saw that and the 10K worth of advice on the forum. Some days I am not real sure how I get to work.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    If you want to, bring it to the fest.  I'll take it home, season it, do a few cooks to really blacken it up, and mail it back.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Options
    Gary I just went out and found it in the garage. It is black inside but sticks and I stuck it out there. Now it is rusty on the outside. Are you sure you want to screw with it. I have a CI 60 year old pan that no one is allowed to touch that is seasoned just right and stayed that way passed down. But this wok was done 4 times in the oven like they say and just would not keep from sticking.

• thebtls
    Options

I put the laser on it and it was about 850 degrees once.  Seasoning is heating up milk in the bottom to a boil then wiping it out.  I had a great carbon steel wok and I sent it to one of the forum members that collects and refurbishes them.   The difference seems to be that it is VERY hard to burn or have things stick, the sides of the wok get as hot as the base if you're at full flame.  No ring required to set the wok in because you sit it right on the grid, etc. 

As for seasoning the carbon steel wok, i have a blog post about that on my blog and the naked whi\z probably has a video if not at least instructions. 

Tony

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Gary I just went out and found it in the garage. It is black inside but sticks and I stuck it out there. Now it is rusty on the outside. Are you sure you want to screw with it. I have a CI 60 year old pan that no one is allowed to touch that is seasoned just right and stayed that way passed down. But this wok was done 4 times in the oven like they say and just would not keep from sticking.
    Hmmm.  If it's rusty, it may not be worth it to take it down to metal to re-season it.  I'm sure I'd have to hand do it, and a new wok from the Wok Shop is only about $25. If you want to buy a new one, I'll be happy to season it for you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Options

thebtls how do you clean it?

• Mickey
    Options
    Gary I am giving thought to just ordering a new one and having it sent to you. Will refund your admission price to the Salado EggFest..............

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Gary I am giving thought to just ordering a new one and having it sent to you. Will refund your admission price to the Salado EggFest..............
    NO !  I demand that you refund mine AND Pam's admission price.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Options
    Ok.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Ok.

:D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• thebtls
    Options

It cools off in about 15 minutes.  I put it in the sink and use a sponge and dish soap.  If something happens to be crusted up like a noodle or something I use a plastic scraper.   Usually the sponge is sufficient.