Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Boston butt advice

HucklebuckHucklebuck Posts: 8
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is my first smoke with a boston butt using the Maverick ET 732...Have the EGG stabilized at 250 dome temp, and reading 215 grate temp. Should I raise the grate temp some or leave as is? How far should the probe be inserted into the meat? Thanks!
·

Comments

• As close to the center as possible.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
    ·
  • Personally I would ramp up the temp a bit until the grate temp is at 250. 
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    hucklebuck... most go at 250 dome, which yields a grate temp around 225 or so.

thermo should be horizontal and slid into the middle of the meat. the 'active' end of the probe is the first quarter inch or so of the tip. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Has anyone ever removed the BGE thermo that it comes with and installed the Maverick in the dome?
    Large BGE in Vegas
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,489
    When I use my maverick during low and slow cooking, I drop it through the daisy wheel to about the height of the stock gauge. Works better for me since I have "dome temps" in my head and recipes.
    ·