Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is brisket Cooking Too Fast?

Options
Colorado Jim
Colorado Jim Posts: 15
edited February 2012 in Beef

I just started cooking a 6lb brisket (first one i have done). I planned cooking time for about 8-9 hours. It has only been cooking for about 1 hour, 15 mins and it is already and the meat temp is already 109. The egg is holding steady at 240 degrees; using the plate setter with the legs down and the brisket in a rack inside of a aluminum pan.

Is the brisket cooking too fast? Do i have the right set-up? Is it ok to open the lid to add hickory chunks to keep the smoke going?

Appreciate any help.

Jim

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    No.  It will reach the stall and remain there a few hours (around 160-170 degrees).

You can open the dome to put in chunks, but don't do it often.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Colorado Jim
    Options

Appreciate the help - will keep pushing.

do you know if it is  better to have the place setter legs up or down?

Again - thanks for your help! Hopefully this first brisket for me turns out.....

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    I do plate setter with legs up, grate on top of that and a drip pan underneath the grate. You figure 1.5 hrs per pound though that will vary. Your brisket will stall around the 155-160 mark for a while. As many have said on this forum, cook until internal temp is around 190. Pull it according to internal meat temperature, not according to how long it's cooked. You'll have to be patient.

It may be that the meat is too close to the plate setter since you have the legs down and that might be why it is cooking so fast?
  • Colorado Jim
    Options

Appreciate the help - defintely working my way through the learning curve.

I just flipped the plate setter over so it is now legs up - i had the same thought that the pan/meat was too close to the plate setter. Hopefully i did not ruin it by pulling the meat off and flipping the plate setter - it only took about a minute.

Thanks again for the help and input.

• paulheels
    Options
    You didn't ruin it. A friend of mine was over when I cooked a packer. He and my wife were picking fun at me because after an hour or so the temp was 111. 17 hrs later I picked fun on them.
    Be patient!
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Colorado Jim
    Options
    Thanks for the help - hope my first brisket turns out ok
  • paulheels
    Options
    NO NO NO NO!!!! You hope it turns our GREAT! Ok won't do!

Paul
  • Colorado Jim
    Options
    Thanks - appreciate the enthusiasm. I think I am going to crack a few beers now  - that seems to make thinks taste better.
  • paulheels
    Options
    NO NO NO! beers make you feel better. Your cooking makes it taste better!!

Paul
  • Colorado Jim
    Options

I knew I had it backwards - thanks again!